Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex venom or viper for PCC?

ParaGunner

One of the main differences is that the Venom has a top-loaded battery, and the Viper has to be removed from its mounting to change the battery. 

That was enough to make up my mind between the two...  

11 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

One of the main differences is that the Venom has a top-loaded battery, and the Viper has to be removed from its mounting to change the battery. 

That was enough to make up my mind between the two...  

Me too...initially, but then I discovered the viper window was bigger and easier to pick up the dot.  Maybe not a big deal on a PCC, but on a pistol I found a bigger difference.  Had both, now only have the viper.

5 hours ago, CharlieD said:

Me too...initially, but then I discovered the viper window was bigger and easier to pick up the dot.  Maybe not a big deal on a PCC, but on a pistol I found a bigger difference.  Had both, now only have the viper.

The Venom has a larger window than the Viper - 50 thousandths of an inch wider and the same height!  (according to Vortex's web site)  

That is not much difference though...  about the thickness of 3 business cards I have laying on my desk!  

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/venom-red-dot-6-moa-dot

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/viper-red-dot-6-moa-dot

Edited by Ken6PPC
more info

Yeah when it comes to something I'm gonna take apart, then re-zero regularly just to change the battery ... Im gonna go with the one you DON'T have to do that to. LOL

I've been running a Vortex Venom on a couple of PCCs for a year or more and I love them. They work great, and the dot is plenty big and bright.

Plus that Vortex lifetime warranty is awesome. I stripped the screw hole on one of my pic mounts and they sent me a new mount free of charge. 

I have a venom on my pistol only because I really like the C-mores on my PCC's.  I really like the top loading battery.  My fear would be the battery dies during a match, you have to take off the sight to change the battery and somehow the zero is lost.  So is your match.  

I used an RMR, and while it's different from the vortex, i didn't exactly like these type of.dots for PCC. Probably comes down to personal preference, but a tube dot like aimpoint micro / holosun micros were much easier for me to pick up quicker and not lose the dot when in awkward shooting positions.