Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which optic mount for DPP

chrisstophere

9 minutes ago, chrisstophere said:

What's the deal with having to file the pad in order to center it? How goofy does it look if you don't do that?

Not that goofy. It will look like a Cheely offset mount. When you are shooting you will never know that it is offset. 

Brazos makes one that will be centered without milling 

My mistake.  I had one on my Brazos gun before I changed to a DPP.  Hard to keep track of all of them.  In any event, you really won't notice the offset if you choose not to file/mill the mount to get it centered

What's the deal with having to file the pad in order to center it? How goofy does it look if you don't do that?
It is only offset if you have a wide frame. And if you do, it isn't tough to do if you have a mill. I had my gunsmith do it, he said it was a non-issue.

I don't think you would even need a smith to machine that .040" off the pad. I bet a local machine shop would do that for you. It is literally a single pass with an end mill. Getting it setup would take longer than the cut would. I bet all told on a manual machine it would take less than 10 minutes, if that. 

Single sideded mounts are convenient, but also not as structurally ridged as double sided mounts. I like the DPP on my Open gun and have tried both the Cheely one sideded and Tevo Sports double sided mounts. The Tevo Sports double sideded mount produces a much smoother tracking of the dot primarily because of the increased rigidity. This also assumes that your recoil management is good enough to keep the dot within the glass through the whole recoil process. If the gun is flopping around within your hands like a fish during recoil then a more ridged mount isn't going to make any perceivable difference.