Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. Bulletfeeder tips

23 hours ago, JatCarver said:

Damn that’s a great idea, I’ve switched bullets recently and the new ones require a bit more bell than I like to get the bullets to not topple, I bet this will help. 

Do you remember where you sourced the tubing?

I made an aluminum extension on a lathe with some scraps laying around. Sorry not more help.

On 11/10/2018 at 9:41 PM, JatCarver said:

Damn that’s a great idea, I’ve switched bullets recently and the new ones require a bit more bell than I like to get the bullets to not topple, I bet this will help. 

Do you remember where you sourced the tubing?

Bell?

I hope you’re using the DAA style powder funnel which doesn’t actually bell the case mouth anymore... and you’re just using the term “bell” generically.

10 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Bell?

I hope you’re using the DAA style powder funnel which doesn’t actually bell the case mouth anymore... and you’re just using the term “bell” generically.

Ya just using the term, I’m using a Lyman M die actually

Once I got the mbf working perfectly, I should have marked how everything was set or taken pictures with my cell phone.

Had a couple head scratchers on day one & then 0 issues for 5,000 rounds or so at which point things had loosened and I basically started set up from scratch.  

147 grain 9mm rn seem like they were made for the mbf , don't think I have ever had one flip when set up was correct. 

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Once I got the mbf working perfectly, I should have marked how everything was set or taken pictures with my cell phone.

Had a couple head scratchers on day one & then 0 issues for 5,000 rounds or so at which point things had loosened and I basically started set up from scratch.  

147 grain 9mm rn seem like they were made for the mbf , don't think I have ever had one flip when set up was correct. 

Exactly.  I'm moving into a bigger house on 12/1.  I marked the location and position of everything on my MBF.  I don't want to start from scratch.

How many of you have found that things improved dramatically when you tipped it to a steeper 45+ degree incline?

I think we can all agree that the initial dial-in so that it feeds is pretty quick. It’s getting rid of the 1 in 100 inverted bullets, or the very rare failure to drop a bullet, that is challenging.

Going from 98% sucessful, to truly flawless operation.

What were the last little things you tweaked to get it there? Change in bullet type? A final tweak to the flipper “ramp”? Tipping the MBF back a bit more? Etc

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...

All good stuff here. Thanks to everyone for sharing the info. I have mine running & dropping 100%. My problem is with the included powder funnel. 

On initial setup I basically followed the instructions to the letter. Got it running well but it's a bit clunky. In station 2 after completing the upstroke and starting downward it was hard to disengage the funnel from the case. Ok. No problem. I thought I had it adjusted a little too far down. Began to adjust the funnel upward 1 flat ( 1/6 ) of a turn and experiment. When the machine started to smooth out and run well I started having issues with bullets falling over. No happy medium. 

At this point I pulled the funnel & inspected it. Looked great. It's polished from the factory but I lightly went over it again. I also checked to make sure it was the correct powder funnel. However that's just the sticker on the box. 

Personally seems like a silly issue to me and reluctant to post. Generally if it's an adjustment issue I can straighten it out given time, however this is giving me problems. Just can't find the sweet spot. If I can't get it worked out I'm contemplating extending the tube above the dropper as mentioned above to increase bullet capacity / weight. 

Loading 9 major using PD JHP's, 124g on a 650. Same issue with multiple headstamps. Practice brass is just dry tumbled, match wet and lubed. Naturally the lubed brass does better but problem still exist. Any ideas, tips, tricks, thoughts, suggestions, ridicule, etc is appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

@Part_time_redneck make sure the insides of your cases aren’t very clean. Leave the pins out of your wet tumbler if wet. Fon’t do a walnut / corncob dry tumble for more than an hour or so if dry.

The carbon left over inside the cases acts as a powdered graphite lube, and helps keep this to a minimum.

Also? Polish the funnel to death. Not “lightly.” Make it look like wet glass.

Those two thing together  (along with lube) help things out a lot.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Part_time_redneck make sure the insides of your cases aren’t very clean. Leave the pins out of your wet tumbler if wet. Fon’t do a walnut / corncob dry tumble for more than an hour or so if dry.

The carbon left over inside the cases acts as a powdered graphite lube, and helps keep this to a minimum.

Those two thing together  (along with lube) help things out a lot.

Agreed, I stopped using pins and the press runs smoother now.