Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. Bulletfeeder tips

I've got a new setup of a 1050 + Mr Bulletfeeder in .45 acp. I'm using Precision Delta 230gr jacketed bullets and have spent some time getting the bullet feeder tweaked. It now works fairly well but I still occasionally get a double feed of bullets that makes a mess of my reloading. I have been tweaking the seating depth of bullet feeder die and am trying to find the right adjustment. Too deep and I get constant double feeds; too shallow and I get an occasional no-feed of any bullets. I did adjust the feeder to the lower set of b-b's and it seems to have helped somewhat. I've only run a couple hundred rounds with this setup but I've never gotten more than ~50 round before I either have a missed feed or double feed.

Any suggestions/tips to address the issues above?

Make sure the dropper assembly is not contacting anything else on the press. Also placing downward tension on the dropper assembly with a rubber band helps it work as designed. This cured all the nagging issues you are having for me. 

27 minutes ago, bwikel said:

Make sure the dropper assembly is not contacting anything else on the press. Also placing downward tension on the dropper assembly with a rubber band helps it work as designed. This cured all the nagging issues you are having for me. 

I did verify the assembly not contacting anything else (though close). Tell me more about the downward tension on the dropper assembly with a rubber band. Do you have a picture or can you be more specific?

Don't have a picture maybe someone else will chime in with a pic but by keeping downward pressure on the dropper assembly it won't allow 2 bullets to drop through the bb's unless you have one upside down and they are base to base. This will let you adjust down far enough so you won't miss a drop on the short cases you run but prevent doubles. 

50 minutes ago, kmc said:

I did verify the assembly not contacting anything else (though close). Tell me more about the downward tension on the dropper assembly with a rubber band. Do you have a picture or can you be more specific?

See this thread as well as the picture at the bottom of the page 

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

What he said... and make sure the spring chute does not pull it up.

That's what was doing it for me.  Gave the spring just a little more play and all my double-feeds disappeared.

3 hours ago, kmc said:

I did adjust the feeder to the lower set of b-b's and it seems to have helped somewhat. I've only run a couple hundred rounds with this setup but I've never gotten more than ~50 round before I either have a missed feed or double feed.

According to the videos by the inventor, the upper holes are for most bullets and the lower ones are for shorter profile rounds like 380 or shorter 9mm.  But hey if it seems to have helped then go with what works.  Once you get it set right the MBF runs like a champ!  Don't know how I ever got along without one.

I found the a little silicone lube in the dropper helps.  Out of the box mine was bone dry and had similar issues with 124gr 9mm.  Played with the adjustment and just couldn't get 100% reliable.  Lubed it and have been good to go since.

Here's two things I did to help with double feeds and consistent feeding.  I have the new style hanger and I used a small piece of wood between the case feeder and the hanger to help stabilize the bullet feeder.  I also use a rubber band to apply downward pressure on the dropper.

mbf1.jpg

mbf2.jpg

I'm not even sure who to quote here. Thanks for the many suggestions. I'm off to get it to 100%...and I'm moving my bb's back where I think they were meant to be for this size of bullet.

11 minutes ago, kmc said:

I'm not even sure who to quote here. Thanks for the many suggestions. I'm off to get it to 100%...and I'm moving my bb's back where I think they were meant to be for this size of bullet.

In 9mm on my 650 and now my 1050, I’m able to find a sweet spot where the dropper won’t even drop two bullets when the first one is upside down. That’s a huge boon to productivity because you just flip over the (very rare) inverted bullet and go.

I loaded for a year with it dropping a second bullet I had to chase down each time an upside down bullet snuck through.

Try this on the rubber band:

56AB7740-8EB8-487B-88B6-1903E57A2BF2.jpeg

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I headed out to the shop with fistful of rubber bands and took the dropper apart and moved the bb's back to the upper position. While I had it apart, I lubed the outside of the inner plastic dropper. I then devised a clamp attached to the powder measure which kept the feeder spring straight up from the dropper and no pressure. At this point, I'm 0 doubles and 0 misses for 100 rounds. No rubber bands...yet anyway. My MBF'd 650 is very nice but if this 100 is any indication, the 1050 makes even the 650 look silly! Thank you.

Btw Sarge, I have the same experience as you with PD 115 out of my 650+MBF...but this experience has re-energized me to try to figure it out again.

Edited by kmc

J0MlHwX.jpgSeen this on forums. I just got my mbf about 1k it’s new hanger. It was a bear to tinker with. 115jhp pd. The 124jhp are dropping fine also. I was getting double or upside down Bullet an I tilted it back some an 100% now. On a 1050

10 hours ago, kmc said:

. I then devised a clamp attached to the powder measure which kept the feeder spring straight up from the dropper and no pressure.

That's exactly what I have done too. 

BTW - these issues seem to be specific to the new die design.  I also have two old design machines, and those don't have problems.  Overall I like the older ones much better. 

I like the rubber band trick for avoiding double feeds. 

Has anyone come up with a way to add more bullet seating tension? I extended the clear part 5 inches and it helped a ton. More bullets stacked equals more downward pressure. 

Was just curious if anyone else came up with an idea.

On 10/31/2018 at 1:14 PM, kmc said:

I've got a new setup of a 1050 + Mr Bulletfeeder in .45 acp. I'm using Precision Delta 230gr jacketed bullets and have spent some time getting the bullet feeder tweaked. It now works fairly well but I still occasionally get a double feed of bullets that makes a mess of my reloading. I have been tweaking the seating depth of bullet feeder die and am trying to find the right adjustment. Too deep and I get constant double feeds; too shallow and I get an occasional no-feed of any bullets. I did adjust the feeder to the lower set of b-b's and it seems to have helped somewhat. I've only run a couple hundred rounds with this setup but I've never gotten more than ~50 round before I either have a missed feed or double feed.

Any suggestions/tips to address the issues above?

Buy the spring kit for your 1050 that imortalbot sells for $11.... it was the best $11 I've spent in my life. It fixed my multiple feeds and allowed my adjustment of the dropper to not be so finicky... the spring that it provides keeps constant tension on the dropper.

On 10/31/2018 at 9:04 PM, Sarge said:

I switched to PD 115 JHP and now get a few upside down bullets every hundred or less. No problem with MG though. WTH?

Sarge if the PD 115s are like the PD 124s I think its the shape of the HP opening. I think its so flat that it can actually ride along the ledge instead of falling off to get tipped upright. I tired moving the ledge more and adjusting the angle, still can't avoid one or two per loading session. 

21 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

Sarge if the PD 115s are like the PD 124s I think its the shape of the HP opening. I think its so flat that it can actually ride along the ledge instead of falling off to get tipped upright. I tired moving the ledge more and adjusting the angle, still can't avoid one or two per loading session. 

Yeah, it’s on my to do list to watch the MBF run and see where/how it’s happening. Makes me miss my MG’s .

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

Yeah, it’s on my to do list to watch the MBF run and see where/how it’s happening. Makes me miss my MG’s .

I’m running Pd 115 jhp mbf. 100% no up side ones. I tested the 124 jhp pd they were fine just ran 50 or so to test. Using all the  insert. Try tilting bf back just little at a time. It worked for me. 

On 11/1/2018 at 9:48 AM, mach1soldier said:

Has anyone come up with a way to add more bullet seating tension? I extended the clear part 5 inches and it helped a ton. More bullets stacked equals more downward pressure. 

Damn that’s a great idea, I’ve switched bullets recently and the new ones require a bit more bell than I like to get the bullets to not topple, I bet this will help. 

Do you remember where you sourced the tubing?

To add weight I wrapped some lead wire around the clear plastic part, just above the brass.  I don't remember where I picked up the wired but it's about 1/8" thick and I have another roll that's about 3/16".  It's solid lead and the thicker roll was used as fishing weights.

9 hours ago, pmiya said:

To add weight I wrapped some lead wire around the clear plastic part, just above the brass.  I don't remember where I picked up the wired but it's about 1/8" thick and I have another roll that's about 3/16".  It's solid lead and the thicker roll was used as fishing weights.

Solder would work