Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Questions For Lanny Bassham

Sharyn

ok... I've spent 18 1/2 of the last 22 1/2 hours contemplating what has been said here (I slept for 4 ;) )... I started reading your book for probably the 5th or 6th time and despite my desire to skip around, I'm reading it cover to cover. I'm really grappling with my understanding of your concepts. (and I'm realizing how evident this is in my previous posts) Errrr, actually, maybe I'm understanding the concepts but not fully understanding their application... <_<

What I've concluded as of tonight... the more I learn, the less I know. Yeah, that's elementary... but I think it explains why I feel there are so many gaps/missing pieces... ??? I'm gathering that your book is not all inclusive... it's the beginning... the introduction... a textbook without a teacher?

I don't know... I'm going to go think and read some more. Maybe I'll go to mapquest and see how far Flower Mound is from Houston. :D

I have read With Winning in Mind. My copy sits on the chest next to my bed. I have worked on directive affirmations and done rehersals. Interesting material.

Currently my focus has shifted.

A goal: I will shoot a clean IDPA match, no procedurals with the all the current accuracy and speed that I can currently muster. This feels real for me. It covers the reality of some physical conditions.

As I step toward this goal I give up judgements about good or bad. Where I used to say good or bad I now say not good not bad. This frees me to just be aware, see, and do things differently or the same.

With not good, not bad I also give up abusive comments or self congratuatory pats on the back. Neither of these habits seems useful to me. My self worth in not measured by the excellence of my shooting.

I can still name something that I want to change. I am not locked into my idea of perfection and blinded to what I have done. I can let the shooting, moving happen.

Recent Reading: Tim Gallwey, The Inner Game of Tennis

Try to find everything in Beyond Fundamentals about "seeing in pictures, without words attached" - when looking over a disappointing stage performance, this is a really good way to go. You may even want to picture the performance as being done by someone else - a stranger - you attach no good/bad value, you just see it as a silent movie, The Shooter With No Name.

[edit - too many words...]

Edited by eric nielsen

What I've concluded as of tonight... the more I learn, the less I know.  Yeah, that's elementary... but I think it explains why I feel there are so many gaps/missing pieces... ???  I'm gathering that your book is not all inclusive... it's the beginning... the introduction... a textbook without a teacher?

I don't know... I'm going to go think and read some more.  Maybe I'll go to mapquest and see how far Flower Mound is from Houston.  :D

Sharyn,

Our office is 10 minutes north of the Dallas/ Ft. Worth Airport.

You are correct. With Winning in Mind is only an introduction to Mental Management. I've been studying and teaching this for 28 years and I have a bit more to say than a 162 page book can contain. But, it is a good way to start. We find that individual and small group seminars are the best way to help shooters with application.

WWIM,

Lanny

As I step toward this goal I give up judgements about good or bad.  Where I used to say good or bad I now say not good not bad.  This frees me to just be aware, see, and do things differently or the same.

Recent Reading: Tim Gallwey, The Inner Game of Tennis

I have come to understand that the Self Image requires two nutrients to grow. Conformation from others that we are doing well and self praise or conformation from within. I encourage you to give yourself credit when you have performance you wish to repeat. You are probably doing that.

Gallwey is a good read. He talks a lot about just letting it happen as I recall.

WWIM,

Lanny

BTW, I ordered "With Winning In Mind" yesterday at almost 1 p.m., directly from Lanny Bassham's company. I had the book in my hand by this morning. If he's as fast at the range as he is in shipping out orders, look out!

wow..I am blown away with the mental energy here..!!!

Sniper: You have to have an appreciation for where your mind and mechanics are and where they need to be..then just give yourself the chance to close that gap by practicing, self-assessment, external assessment, raising killer threads like these, developing a routine so that 'stuff happening' e.g. non-zeroed sights is reduced and you will see the improvement...

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Bassham is just plain awesome.

While I was at the AMU we had the opportunity to learn from him and his seminars/book/tapes. He is the first one I learned from about the importance of goal setting and how to do it best.

The book and tapes are something you can learn from each and everytime and I highly recommend them. Thanks for making it easy for everyone to get them here!!!

Sharyn, I hope you get to meet him one day too!!! He is a pleasure to work with.

All the best,

julie

• 3 months later...
I'm a female, B class Open shooter, in my second year of competitive pistol shooting. Using USPSA Nationals as an example... it was my first Nationals and I wasn't going to win B class nor High Lady.

WHAT KEPT YOU FROM WINNING B CLASS? If you can answer that question the rest should be easy ... like winning !!!!!

I watched a grand master (I admire !) DQ himself on the first stage without firing a shot at my first trip to the nationals... I DQed two days later! on the SAME STAGE !!!!!!! but the GREAT THING IS THAT I LEARNED MORE FROM THAT THAN IF I HAD WON THE NATIONALS...

With winning in MIND love the book!!!... I CAN WIN! I WILL WIN! WINNING IS EASY!

you can Win,

SI

heh... nice timing, caspian38. I just returned from a seminar with Lanny on Wednesday. :D

SO I take it that means your aiming for Top lady at the nationals? to easy? Maybe top shooter? still to easy? Just as long as you don't make winning Area one a goal ... as that would conflict with my current goal ...I have it written up on the blackboard and have been drumming it though my head WIN WIN WIN WIN ITS EASY!

I might have to order another copy of Mr.Bassham's book from Brian's store ... my original is wearing out! And I have 4 matches in the next two weeks TO WIN.

Alright Sharyn

share share share...

what did you think about his seminar

It was awesome to have Lanny's attention for just the two of us. I hope his interest and enthusiasm for Action Pistol and the unique challenges of a USPSA competitor continue to grow.

Besides a personal seminar, here are two of his products that I recommend:

Mental Management Video Seminar

The Ultimate Performance Journal

• 2 months later...
heh... nice timing, caspian38. I just returned from a seminar with Lanny on Wednesday. :D

So how do you feel about yourself and your capabilities now? Do you have the belief now to move you to the next level?

This State Match has gotten me a little anxious. I took the liberty of ordering Lanny's Book and last Thursday I spoke with him on the phone for about a half an hour and got some great mental paradigms on shooting and how I should approach it. I had him overnight the Mental Management for Shooting Sports so I could listen to it in my car. There's a lot of knowledge poured into those CD's.