Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about magazine base plates

Mliebs

I recently purchased a Shadow 2 that came with 3-17 round magazines.  I'd like to purchase one more but also add base plates to the original 3 to give me 3-4 additional rounds.  I've used Taran in the past for a Glock and they worked fine but didn't know if there was a better option for the CZ without breaking the bank.  Do I need to upgrade the mag springs with new base plates or are they good to go as is?  Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  

From my experience, you do not need different springs or followers if you go with the extended basepads unless you want to get maximum capacity.  I went with the Taran basepads on my Mecgar mags.

There are other options such as CZC and Springer Precision that would give you the additional capacity.

I’ve personally tried Springer Precision on multiple firearms, the CZC pads and the Henning Group pads for my CZs and finally landed on the Henning. Really easy assembly and disassembly, a little spendy but when you add the value of the spring kit in, it’s essentially the same to me.

i can get 23+1 with the Henning kit on MecGar 17rnd tubes.

Apart from reliability and capacity, the most important requirement for a base pad is it is simple, easy and quick to remove.  The same goes for reassembly.  I've had it with pads that are held on by set screws, so Springer is out.  I can't speak to the Henning.  I have CZC base pads and TTI.  I like them both, but the CZC is quicker off and back on.   Initially I didn't like the 2-piece design, but experience has taught me the wisdom behind it.  BTW, I'm not knocking TTI pads.  I have no plans to replace them.

Last weekend I dropped every one one of my magazines in the mud (it was raining). I washed them out in puddles on the ground. Don't oil your magazines and disassembling them won't be important. 

Edited by 858