Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RFPO ammo??

chanman

No, I run CCI AR Tactical in my custom CWA upper, and either CCI Standard, Eley Target or CCI AR Tactical in my Marvel Unit One upper (depending on which spring is installed at the time).  AR Tactical is more consistent than Minimags.  All are 40gr bullets.  Muzzle rise is so minimal with any of them, I don't consider it.  I'm a lot more concerned with accuracy and reliability.

49 minutes ago, zzt said:

No....   Muzzle rise is so minimal with any of them, I don't consider it.  I'm a lot more concerned with accuracy and reliability.

+1.  CCI Standard Velocity exclusively in my RFPO.  It is the most reliable and clean, as well as accurate.  Yeah, there’s the comp issue but the gun gets a thorough cleaning after each shooting so I live with it.  

On the other hand my RFRO can eat cheapy Golden Bullets all day long, and I appreciate their faster velocity on the far targets.  I actually find the GB’s to be as reliable as the CCISV’s, believe it or not, at least in this rifle.  Just have to accept them being a bit more filthy.  

Edited by jkrispies

c, you are going to have to clean lead out of your comp no matter what you shoot.  Copper flashed are only a little bit cleaner.  What you might try are SK Standard Plus or any of the brands they make that ammo for (Wolf, Lapua, etc.)  They use a wax that is essentially liquid at summer temps.  Yes it gets on your hands when you load, but it is more lubricious than the harder wax coatings on CCI and others, an for some reason, lead comes out of the comp more easily.  That assumes you do not let it build up much.  After you get it clean, swabbing a little Kroil oil or Weapon Shield CLP into the comp seems to make the lead stick less.

jk, if you try SK Standard Plus in your Unit One, you will be able to go an entire match and then some before you start to have issues.

One of the things you could try is dropping a round into the perfectly clean chamber.  I'm betting your CCI Standard will protrude somewhere between .025" and .050"  That preload is because of the match chamber Marvel uses.  It is also because CCI Standard has a thicker wax coating and is loaded .010" longer than other 22 ammo.   BTW, the 0032 CCI Standard velocity is more consistent than the stuff that comes in the 50 round paper boxes.

Edited by zzt

Anyone try the CCI .22 LR ammunition with polymer coated bullets.   These CCI cartridges are loaded with 40-grain bullets traveling at a muzzle velocity of 1,235 fps.

"The polymer coating of lead bullets creates a thin film of polymer on the outer surface of the bullet. It works as a lubricant and protective layer decreasing the friction between the bullet and bore and decreasing the fouling of the barrel. As mentioned above, It is also good for shooting with suppressors. According to 22plinkster, this polymer coated .22 LR ammunition decreases the fouling in the bore and in suppressors by roughly 30-40%, which means you’ll have to clean them less frequently."

I really like Federal Auto Match in my Scorpion. At 1200 fps it seems to cycle slightly faster and flatter than CCI SV (not that it has much dot movement anyway). Accuracy is good and never had a hiccup with it.