Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCBS Progressive press

OnceACowboy

I have the old Ammomaster that I purchased from a fellow who had been through two upgrades. My impression was he'd given up on the powder drop on it but advised me to buy the LNL one, which I did and it's been great. Sure there have been hic-ups, but those attributed to me learning to work a progressive press. I've also experienced the exceptional RCBS customer service. I emailed them on missing parts and they sent them out free of charge!

I have never touched an rcbs progressive,  but i cant see how there would be any negatives compared to the lee progressive,  and i like a lot of lee stuff. 

And i will be the one who says it, if you want a progessive and are on a tight budget, save a touch longer and get a 550

35 minutes ago, RJH said:

I have never touched an rcbs progressive,  but i cant see how there would be any negatives compared to the lee progressive,  and i like a lot of lee stuff. 

And i will be the one who says it, if you want a progessive and are on a tight budget, save a touch longer and get a 550

That not quite fair My LNL's work as well has my 550.

50 minutes ago, RJH said:

Wow, we made it to the fourth post to get to "don't buy that crap, buy a Dillon." Like @Rnlinebacker says, you gotta start somewhere and I got into my RCBS for just over $250 which is less than half a 550.

Edited by Mcfoto

Never said lock n loads were bad, also never said that the rcbs was bad, did say lee was junk though and as a former lee progressive owner i stand buy that.

The lnl is $400, a quick look shows the rcbs @550-600, and  a 550@440. So the cost is roughly the same new,  an the dillon is the standard for a reason.  So for approximately the same money my advice is to go with the dillon. There is a reason people tend to move towards a dillon and not from a dillon. 

And  mcfoto, my son got into his 550 with about $600 extra  in dies, powder, etc for $350, so compairing used prices that you happen upon is kinda silly when comparing machines, cause those prices cant be guaranteed,  however dillons do tend to have the best resale. 

18 minutes ago, RJH said:

And  mcfoto, my son got into his 550 with about $600 extra  in dies, powder, etc for $350, so compairing used prices that you happen upon is kinda silly when comparing machines, cause those prices cant be guaranteed,  however dillons do tend to have the best resale. 

You, sir, got the steal of the century. I was looking at used Dillons and found like Toyota Trucks, the depreciation is so low that it isn't much of a savings to buy used. Was poised to order a 550 new when my deal sprang up. Glad I went the way I did. I am learning a lot having my first progressive be a hand-me down. Lots of problem solving. And I know there's a reason Dillon has their fans (particularly on this forum as I believe Brian started it as part of his Dillon dealership). But there are non-Dillon machines being put to good use out there. My single stage is an RCBS Jr II that my son-in-law inherited from his late father. He speculated that I was the first one to turn ammo out of it in his lifetime and after a clean and lube, it's as good as new.

Thanks for all the comments.  I appreciate the honest back and forth on this forum.  I'm not in the market right now because I reload on a friends Dillon.  You might say I'm just doing due diligence.  Will make my final decision after I move to Georgia next summer.  Who knows maybe a unicorn 650 will fall into my lap.  :)

20 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

You, sir, got the steal of the century. I was looking at used Dillons and found like Toyota Trucks, the depreciation is so low that it isn't much of a savings to buy used. Was poised to order a 550 new when my deal sprang up. Glad I went the way I did. I am learning a lot having my first progressive be a hand-me down. Lots of problem solving. And I know there's a reason Dillon has their fans (particularly on this forum as I believe Brian started it as part of his Dillon dealership). But there are non-Dillon machines being put to good use out there. My single stage is an RCBS Jr II that my son-in-law inherited from his late father. He speculated that I was the first one to turn ammo out of it in his lifetime and after a clean and lube, it's as good as new.

I wished it was me, bit it was my son that got the deal haha. And  i am sure the  other presses are fine too, but  if some one is starting at zero and buying new, might as well go where most people seem to end up IMO. Obviously if buying used, get the best deal possible on a quality press

The Dillon, Hornady and Lee all have their fans.  I've owned and used the first two.  I had my Hornady for about a decade.  Once I got my Dillon I realized just how superior the 650 is to the Hornady LnL.  In my experience the Hornady will load fine ammo, it just takes a lot more fiddling with the press to do so.  My 650 just cranks out ammo with no problems.

I've never used a Lee progressive press, nor have I used an RCBS.

RCBS has had several different progressive presses over the years.  Some were only good as boat anchors.  The rest are simply overpriced for what they offer.  I'd love to have a seven stage progressive press, but the cost of a Pro Chucker 7 with a case feeder is getting up into 1050 range.

I have been loading on a RCBS Pro 2000 since they first came out. I stopped counting the number of rounds loaded on this press after I passed 100,000. My press is is the manual advance shell plate like the 550. So far it has been great press and the few minor issues I’ve had RCBS took care quickly.

Things I like about the press and were deciding factors over the Dillon 550 is 5 stations and the APS primer system. I can comfortably load 500 rounds per hour with the added bullet feeder. More if I push myself. The APS primer system has been outstanding. It seems to just work. I can load 500 primers (20 strips) in about 10 minutes. Once loaded I can load 500 rounds non stop other than typical quality and safety checks I do while loading.

As far as the Pro Chucker 5 & 7 I would rather have a Dillion 650 then either of those. The Pro Chucker series seems to have serious issue with the priming system. And if you want case feeder you have to buy additional parts from RCBS adding more cost, and a different manufacturer case feeder.

If and when I upgrade to fully progressive press it will be Dillion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk