Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Silicone carbide grip

sheepdog566

Just got a new glock 24 and I am starting to tune it up. I’m planning on removing the finger grooves and doing a silicone carbide texture. In the past I’ve always used jb weld epoxy, but it drys quick and is difficult to spread evenly. This time I want to do something different with the lines of the texture which will require more detailed taping and epoxy application. Anyone used a good epoxy which is easy to spread and slow to dry? Probably asking a lot for it to be durable too. ?

57 minutes ago, BigMoneyGrip said:

How hard would that be to remove if you ever wanted to take it off?

IDK?

I used a dremel on the grip so, removing it would only show that. From what I understand, it's permanent.

I did mine with the 24hr cure JB weld 2 part epoxy. The 2 small tubes version. Spread it with some stiff cardstock/cardboard to even it out and hung dry for 24hrs. It was still semi soft about 6hrs in so there was plenty of time to shape and apply the SC if I needed more time.

As far as removing it, you really can't unless you grind it off back down to the plastic grip and reapply which is doable if the SC ever wears off.

17 hours ago, sheepdog566 said:

JB is what u usually use but it’s difficult to spread and make smooth. Was hoping there was something out there that spreads easier

I bought a cheap 1" paint brush from harbor freight. The Marine epoxy worked well!

See link to YouTube video

https://youtu.be/DL3ExFQNHkM

Edited by B_RAD

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 12:43 AM, sheepdog566 said:

JB is what u usually use but it’s difficult to spread and make smooth. Was hoping there was something out there that spreads easier

Like I said I used the hard/stiff cardboard but doing it again I will go with a cheap paintbrush, a little extra texture if any from the brush won't hurt. Will just need to be fairly stiff I would think.

8 hours ago, dlightning said:

How durable is the various epoxy?  Any wear spot?  

The only wear spots on mine are from where a ran a rifle slung for one stage in a weird position and the grit wore off in that area but I didn't lose any in any vital areas. Other than that It lost a bit just from initial use but its "settled" and hasn't lost anymore in about 1,000 rounds total since application.

8 hours ago, dlightning said:

How durable is the various epoxy?  Any wear spot?  

I used JB Weld and ran it all the way to the bottom of the grip. 

I has chipped off in a few places up to maybe 3/8" above the magwell.

4 months, thousands of reloads, pretty sure if I had taped a line along the edge it would still be "pretty", sanding the entire area to be coated would probably have done some good as well.