Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hybrid/Island barrel vs Bull barrel

CzViper

So I'm venturing out of my comfort zone and I'm planning to pick up a 2011 style pistol.

I see a lot of variations but my main question is if there are benefits of choosing one barrel type versus the other.

Also, if there is anybody able to chime in on Akai sleeved barrels into the mix feedback is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I have an island, I like the way it looks.  I wanted a sight tracker and didn’t know there was another option; probably go the other way next time.  I think the island is cooler, but from potential to break I suspect they are not the better option.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:03 PM, andrewtac said:

I have an island, I like the way it looks.  I wanted a sight tracker and didn’t know there was another option; probably go the other way next time.  I think the island is cooler, but from potential to break I suspect they are not the better option.

I've wondered about the claim that island barrels tend to keep the sight on target better. Is this true?

6 hours ago, MikieM said:

I've wondered about the claim that island barrels tend to keep the sight on target better. Is this true?

Well there is less movement of the sight, but I am not sure at my current skill level (or anyone’s for that matter) that it is noticeable.  Physically the sight is only moving a small amount rather than the entire length the slide cycles.  But it is so fast.  I see the sight at ignition, hopefully I’ll practice more and see more of it.

I have a couple of Titans with bull barrels. I've shot an SVI with the island barrel. I could not tell a difference. I only shot about 20 rnds. I could accept that given enough time and rounds maybe I could eventually tell a difference but I don't know. I doubt it would be enough to justify the extra cost for me. 

I would like to shoot the Atlas Nemisis. That looks like it adds quite a bit more weight out at the end of the muzzle. I do feel that my Glock 24 with an SJC wieght has less muzzle flip than my Titans. So, I'd think the Nemisis would too!

Again, for me, I don't think it's worth the extra cost. 

Edited by B_RAD

Im no expert but I have a couple of each. 

First, the standard bull barrel edge shoots pretty decent. Its pretty reliant on grip to keep it flat. Not much different than a standard 1911 frame, 

Infinity sight tracker, the island barrel not only keeps the sight from reciprocating with the recoil cycle but the slide is lightened. Less reciprocating mass makes fro a flatter shooting pistol and its a faster reacqusition of the front sight by a bit. 

My Atlas nemesis shoots very flat. The additional mass at the end of the barrel coupled with a further lightened slide makes this very flat shooting .he differences are pretty subtle but to convince myself (or prove myself wrong) I've fired them back to back to back. They do feel different. Whether the price difference is worth it is an eye of the beholder situation. I will say that I prefer the Atlas to all the others at this point, maybe because its still the newest shiny toy. 

I certainly don't regret spending the money on them and other will have varying opinions. As always, its what you practice with that makes the better shooter, but some options just make it a little bit easier.  

Years ago I did a side by side comparison between a edge and a svi sight tracker

same ammo, shoot one gun, put it down pick up the other one, and the svi shot noticeably softer, the advantage of the sight tracker was because the front sight  didn’t move, it stayed in focus in recoil, the same way the old school comp guns mounted the sight on the comp instead of the slide, also the lightened slide help with muzzle rise, but the biggest advantage it had was the tungsten flgr

that gun weighted a ton, or at least it felt like it.

The “new” sight block gun of today are like the old pin guns from the the early 80’s

PINGUN_WA-4_5s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Im no expert but I have a couple of each. 

First, the standard bull barrel edge shoots pretty decent. Its pretty reliant on grip to keep it flat. Not much different than a standard 1911 frame, 

Infinity sight tracker, the island barrel not only keeps the sight from reciprocating with the recoil cycle but the slide is lightened. Less reciprocating mass makes fro a flatter shooting pistol and its a faster reacqusition of the front sight by a bit. 

My Atlas nemesis shoots very flat. The additional mass at the end of the barrel coupled with a further lightened slide makes this very flat shooting .he differences are pretty subtle but to convince myself (or prove myself wrong) I've fired them back to back to back. They do feel different. Whether the price difference is worth it is an eye of the beholder situation. I will say that I prefer the Atlas to all the others at this point, maybe because its still the newest shiny toy. 

I certainly don't regret spending the money on them and other will have varying opinions. As always, its what you practice with that makes the better shooter, but some options just make it a little bit easier.  
Any way you can post some weights of the barrels and slides from your examples, please?

2 hours ago, CzViper said:

Any way you can post some weights of the barrels and slides from your examples, please?

I only have the weights of an Island Barrel setup if someone has a regular setup to compare. Just guessing It looks like an Island Barrel setup would weigh around 10 grams more.

Infinity .40 s&w Island Barrel 189 Grams with barrel link and pin

STI .40 s&w slide cut for island barrel 368 Grams with sights and fully assembled 

Infinity .40 s&w Island Barrel 189 Grams with barrel link and pin
STI .40 s&w slide cut for island barrel 368 Grams with sights and fully assembled 

Thanks Fo0.

STI DVC .40 S&W TiN bull barrel w/link and pin:
5.47oz =155grams
STI DVC .40 S&W slide w/sights assembled:
12.35oz = 350grams

I have owned several akai guns, awesome quality. As for the sleeve like everything else does it help yes, can most tell prob not at first, akai also make a "pelican barrel" which is like the nemisis sight block. I have really been looking and asking the same question on if they make that much difference as I am in the market to build a new Limited blaster.