Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• 4 months later...

We are humourously pointing out that restroom facilities suck, even for men. Usually for a big match there is not enough, nor are they maintained, especially at the smaller clubs.

You can't take things written here too seriously, this forum, aside from maybe the "Hate" topic, tries to keep things lighthearted

Thanks for explaining "guy humor" Pat.

There is also a matter of priorities. In most clubs you only have a few people doing all of the work. I have literally taken a fire truck (I am a volunteer fire fighter) out to the public range to hose the inside of the rest room facilities out. But I am so busy building props, laying out classifiers, doing stats, and so on that the rest rooms become a low priority.

I think people who have clean rest rooms at the top of their priority list need to pitch in and help to keep them clean. Unfortunately, those same folks often times find the idea of actually cleaning the out house degrading and below thier station in life.

Our club has spent the last five years scraping up the funding, arguing over design, and luring shooters in off the street to pay our outrageous match fees, to build a clubhouse with indoor plumbing.

When it is up, we will be IPSC gods, as well as Pin shooting gods.  You are all invited.

Sharon,

The idea for this post was to bring the problem to people's attention.  I hope you aren't calling the posters here idiots (not that we aren't, you just don't know us that well...yet ;) ).  

Please be careful with the generalized labels.  We try to be a polite bunch.  

Now, for those that really don't care about the women at the range...for them, you likely used the wrong term.  Idiot would denote that they don't understand.  The people you refer to sound apathetic (please use an "a" word when referring to them).

If you would like to "go off" on this topic...take it to the "hate forum".  It would make a good thread there.  (great place to vent too)

An interim solution might be to simply reserve one or more of the outdoor WC's for women only.  At least the girls would have something marginally clean.  Not perfect, but better.  And better is better...

I am lucky enough to have a wife that is as interested in shooting as I am (it sure makes all those little extras easier to acquire). Her enthusiasm for the sport perseveres despite the primitive bathroom facilities, but it remains a major issue for her and all the other women in the club.

Lots of women I know actually would be into shooting, but they perceive it as a "boys only" sport.  If there were sanitary facilities at the range for them to use, at least they would feel less inhibited to come and hang out.  No one's saying that this will bring in the babes in droves.  At least women then might we willing to come and see that it's about more than the macho, combat crap.  

If you want to grow the sport, you need to make it so that families will come and want to spend a saturday.  In order to do that, you need to make women feel welcome.  I'm just a guy, but I'm guessing that clean, safe, and comfortable just might top their list of womens' prerequisites for participation.  This is just based on a couple decades of observation.  I could be totally wrong though...

(Edited by EricW at 2:52 pm on Nov. 25, 2002)

well Sharon, I hate to tell you, but "you girls" can agree no more on anything than "us guys". Yes, TIS, most ladies that I know would put shooting at the bottom of the list of things to do...even if it's an indoor range in a luxurious hotel with golden toilet seats...

--Detlef

Detlef, sorry to disagree.  My Mom finally got into shooting.  The clincher was a nice, clean indoor range with female owner behind the counter.  That made the whole thing palatable to her.  Some (certainly not all) women are interested in shooting, but won't.  Why?  They're just not interested in going to a filthy, run-down gravel pit and being barked and bitched at by range Nazis.  As long as that keeps up, just plan on having 10-25% fewer shooters than IPSC possibly could.

and those 10-25% are all women?? I don't buy it...

I also used to do competitive ballroom dancing, there the scale is tipped to the other extreme.

Maybe I just had a new business idea?

Sharon, you may be right but I cannot admit here because I don't know who might eavesdrop... :)

--Detlef

Holy Hotdogs Batman - what a can of worms!

Hey - I hate pissin at the range and I don't have to squat. When you go into China (and I mean IN China) they have a hole for guys or girls - it makes you truly appreciate a good facility. It also improves leg strength.

I don't know what it is that motivates women to come to the range. My best guess - its a combination of all things. Lets face it - there are plenty of guys who don't shoot matches either and that probably has nothing to do with the facilities.

I've dated a few women who did shoot - my wife doesn't - I personally have no clue what it would take to get more out to the range. I hope we can get more out there though. It would greatly improve the image of the sport.

JB

Sue & I have more clubs than we have time to shoot at. The ranges with the worst facilities are the ones we dump first. We shoot at 3 IDPA clubs that have his &  hers inside bathrooms with hot & cold running water. Those are the ones we go too most. Besides, I would rather go indoors rather than behind a tree.

Bill Nesbitt

Quote: from j1b on 4:49 pm on Nov. 25, 2002

When you go into China (and I mean IN China) they have a hole for guys or girls -

Believe it or not, it's the same in France and (as I understand) many other places in Europe.  Yet another stellar reason to never go back...

These questions seem to have gone unresolved for centuries.  Hamlet, Prince of Denmark also had to wrestle with the weighty matters of being next in line for the throne.

"To pee, or not to pee: that is the ques-

tion:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of out-house fortune,

Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,

And by opposing end them?"

Now, I'm not advocating that anyone take up arms against this particular "sea of troubles".

All joking aside, we really do need to have clean, sanitary, restrooms.  It's just a matter of consideration for the people we care about, our Moms & sisters & wives.