Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

indoor lane drills

p7fl

Gun Range Drills

Lost my magnetic card to the private indoor range I belong too. Going to a public range limits the drills I can do.

At the public range I’ve got a fixed lane and fixed direction.

What can I work on ?

First thing I do is work on accuracy.

2nd is switch hands.

After that I could use suggestions.

Thx

jon

3 hours ago, p7fl said:

Gun Range Drills

Lost my magnetic card to the private indoor range I belong too. Going to a public range limits the drills I can do.

At the public range I’ve got a fixed lane and fixed direction.

What can I work on ?

First thing I do is work on accuracy.

2nd is switch hands.

After that I could use suggestions.

Thx

jon

If you can use a holster and shoot fast:

Draw to freestyle

Draw to strong hand

Draw to weak hand

If you have a mag that you are willing to drop, mix in reloads

If you can't use a holster:

Table starts both loaded and unloaded and mix in FS,SH and WH.

If you can't shoot fast:

Do the above with only one round. If they are saying you are shooting too fast on shot-reload-shot then you are on the right track ?

When doing the single shot drills, dry-fire the second shot paying attention to where the sights were when you broke the "shot". The lack of recoil allows for serious clarity as to what you were doing up to breaking the shot since the gun stays where you put it.

And just to keep the peace, tell the range staff what it is you are going to be doing so they are not surprised!

If they will allow you to draw from a holster and shoot fast Dot drills and bill drills. If its like my local indoor ranges they wont allow that. Agreed with chuck, Table starts are good practice both loaded and unloaded and reloads if they will allow it. But first i would try to get access back to your range. I never go to our indoor ranges here because they are awful on what you can and can not do. You can do reloads in them but the mag can not hit the floor... ?

I tend to do the stoeger practical accuracy or doubles drill. My indoor range is 10 mins away, my outdoor is 70+, so I try to run the basics inside so I can do movement, transitions, etc outside. 

On 8/28/2018 at 7:30 AM, p7fl said:

Have you got a link to explain those drills?

Those are in his books, but short version is practical accuracy is cut out the A zone, flip it around and tape it back in. This gives you a no shoot all around the A zone. Doubles is just working on shooting as soon as the sights settle, which helps you learn about gripping correctly so the gun will settle back into place. Also helps splits.