Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics set up

B_RAD

I set up my G34 MOS with my DPP. I noticed I'm getting brass on the edge if the DPP. Might have even had some hit the glass. 

I'm running an 11lb Wolff on a Jager guide rod. My ammo is about 130pf. 

Can this be avoided or minimized with spring, ammo combo?  Extractor?

I tried everything with my G34. 11lb spring, polish extractor, raised PF up to 140. I was able to reduce, but not eliminate the optic hits. Of all that, polishing the extractor worked the best. I tried the apex extractor, marginal improvement at best. 

I recently switched to a P320 X5, guess what? Brass hits the optic......

I ran a heavier spring to slow down the slide and the brass stopped hitting the optic (RTS)

IT also gave better in battery lock up. i.e. stopping all my light strikes.

Try it! May help yours! ymmv

2 minutes ago, war_material said:

I noticed mine hit brass a bit too but I don’t mind. The dpp is solid and I am really not worried about it. Shoots too good ?

I guess I'm more worried about the brass hitting the glass and damaging that. 

Just now, B_RAD said:

Oh I see my bad I overlooked that part. Yeah mine has some wear on the edge and I don’t know about the glass part. From all my videos I can’t tell if it hits glass or not on mine. I guess I’ll wait for any more signs to see if it is happening. I only have about a thousand rounds through it. 

10 hours ago, B_RAD said:

If u some how manage to break or crack the glass on the DDP, they will fix it for free. I know from experience. Not broken from brass, but from dropped gun on concrete.

The glass was cracked in the corner, and the optic was 100% useable.

13 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

I ran a heavier spring to slow down the slide and the brass stopped hitting the optic (RTS)

IT also gave better in battery lock up. i.e. stopping all my light strikes.

Try it! May help yours! ymmv

If your loads will run the stock recoil spring assembly that would be a good test. I'm running a couple of MOS Glocks and have only used the stock RSA. Just picked up a Jager extended guide rod and 13 lb spring so we will see how that affects ejection.

I chased that issue with ejected brass hitting the optic in several CO Glocks, both Gen 3 and Gen 4. I now use Apex extractors in all of them along with replacing the Gen 3 ejectors with the "improved" Gen 4 ejectors in the Gen 3's. That, combined with a no lighter than a 13 lb recoil spring, seems to have pretty much cured the the issue of ejected brass hitting the optic. I run a 14 lb Wolff recoil spring on a Wolff steel guide rod in two Gen 3 Glock 17's used for CO and a 14 lb Wolff recoil spring on a Jager extended heavy guide rod in a Gen 3 Glock 34, also for CO. I run a 13 lb ISMI flat wire recoil spring on a Jager guide rod in a Gen 4 Glock 17 that was also used for CO until I took the optic off and put it on the Gen 3 G34 to experiment with the longer gun.

My CO load is right at 133 pf out of the G17's and close to 134.5 pf out of the G34. Cannot say which of the "cures" was most effective, as I did them all at one time.  I can say that the same combination of cures also worked in my Gen 3 G17 open gun at the 172 pf load I run it at. 

Notice that I said "pretty much cured" the issue. I still get the odd ejected 9 case hitting the optic from time to time, but I was able to "almost" eliminate it. It was worth the effort. Eliminating it altogether seems to pretty much be a unicorn with Glocks with slide mounted optics. I figured with the tolerances, variances, and design inherent in Glocks that is as good as it is going to get. Re-contouring the end of the ejector to change the trajectory of ejected brass might be the next big project.