Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet? Barrel? User? Poor accuracy at 25yds

CTJer

I shoot a gen 4 Glock 17. OEM barrel with 147g coated truncated cone over 3.2g of TG. 

I get pretty crappy hits on paper at 25yds.  I

figured it was just user error.  I’ve worked on slow fire trigger control and shooting from a bench and while it eliminates MIKES, it’s still all over the target.  (USPSA metric). 

I’ve had a few conversations with other glock shooters and some are fine with the coated and accuracy.  

Anyone have the same issue?

I’m thinking of buying a few sample packs from other coated manufacturers, possibly replacing the barrel with a KKM, or if I have too, go to a Hornady 147g FMJ.  

Possibly go up in diameter?

what to try?   

26 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

If 10 yard accuracy is good and 25 yard accuracy is bad it is good to verify that you are not crimping into the coating.

Ok, one more thing to consider.  ha

I am new to reloading, just started in Feb.    I'll have to look into that.

Thank you.

I also shoot a 17 with 147 gr coated. I was able to cut my group size in half moving from stock barrel to a kkm (8” to about 4” offhand at 25). With that being said, my stock barrel shot great with plated but the kkm does not. I believe this was because the plated I had were .355 vs .356 for the coated.

Before committing to a new barrel, I’d try a few different bullets (including factory) and shoot them from a rest at 25.

And, as mentioned above, too much crimp can cause accuracy issues too. Pull some of your reloads to see if you’re crimping through the coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

How is accuracy at 25 yards with factory ammo ?

How is YOUR accuracy with any other gun you own at 25 yards ?

I presume, from what you wrote, that you're getting 12+" groups at 25 yards ?

Gotta test that out.

Never really shot much at that distance. 

Yes.

12 hours ago, andrewtac said:

Agree probably crimp; I’ve had that cause issues with plated.

accuracy fine with lead, fmj, plated, coated, whatever in Glock barrels

Copy that.

My barrel is also picky with head stamps, which doesn't seem to be a problem with anyone else in 9mm.  Hell, I give most of my brass to a buddy who shoots a Shadow 2.  WTF.

4 hours ago, MJinPA said:

I also shoot a 17 with 147 gr coated. I was able to cut my group size in half moving from stock barrel to a kkm (8” to about 4” offhand at 25). With that being said, my stock barrel shot great with plated but the kkm does not. I believe this was because the plated I had were .355 vs .356 for the coated.

Before committing to a new barrel, I’d try a few different bullets (including factory) and shoot them from a rest at 25.

And, as mentioned above, too much crimp can cause accuracy issues too. Pull some of your reloads to see if you’re crimping through the coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff.   Thank you.

3 hours ago, perttime said:

Try some jacketed factory ammunition.

Try shooting a different gun.

Had a buddy give me some Hornady FMJ RN he loads.   Going to grab a box of factory Federal and I'd like to get at least 1 more load to test them all in the same sitting.

I'm going to shoot my other G17 and I'll try swapping the barrels too.   My buddy loads the same rounds as me and shoots a Shadow 2, so I'll try that too.

Since you've never shot much at 25 yards, you might want to

start at 15 yards, and see how that goes - from a bench, nice

and slowly with a target style trigger pull (gentle).

Work it out to 20 yards, and see what happens - try it with

factory ammo.   

At 20 yards, you should be able to get 4" groups with almost

any gun suitable for USPSA - if you cannot, it just might be you    :) 

5 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Since you've never shot much at 25 yards, you might want to

start at 15 yards, and see how that goes - from a bench, nice

and slowly with a target style trigger pull (gentle).

Work it out to 20 yards, and see what happens - try it with

factory ammo.   

At 20 yards, you should be able to get 4" groups with almost

any gun suitable for USPSA - if you cannot, it just might be you    :) 

?

I never had great results with coated 147s, I've tried a few, from my G3 G17s, 5-6" groups at 25yds seem the norm.

The 120-125gr and 135gr cast and/or coated have done better.

Blue Bullets seem to work fine at .355, everything else does better at .357. Blazer brass gauges best with large for caliber projectiles, most if not all the imports are unacceptable with larger bullets.

2 hours ago, Beef15 said:

I never had great results with coated 147s, I've tried a few, from my G3 G17s, 5-6" groups at 25yds seem the norm.

The 120-125gr and 135gr cast and/or coated have done better.

Blue Bullets seem to work fine at .355, everything else does better at .357. Blazer brass gauges best with large for caliber projectiles, most if not all the imports are unacceptable with larger bullets.

Thanks for the feedback.

Got to put a few rounds down range before the rain came in sheets.

Both G17's had about an 8-9" group at 25yds from a bench rest with the 147g coated bullets I've been shooting.  

Didn't really get a chance to test much more.    Started with 10yds standing and kept ~4" groups.

Going to try and get some different coated and see if I can find more answers.