Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Weight removal for carry optics in frame of CZ Shadow 2

threat

On 8/13/2018 at 2:07 PM, threat said:

I however do not want to mill my Frame if it will make it illegal

I might email Troy first but I don't see how internal mod is going to make it illegal. My S2 with thick LOK grips and Henning extension is 46.9. I presume it is due to gun to gun variation and thicker LOK grips but that's what I am going to use.  Been shooting it long enough not care to change grip and index. I plan on using a DPP too, so give or take 2 oz. I intend to do a direct mill as opposed to CZ adapter plate so there will be less weight removal there. Might be tough to get under 45 without doing something to the frame.

Spoke to the guys at CGW and they're confident they can trim the excess .5 out of the slide. I may even switch to some g10 or scales grips to give me that extra 2 tenths. All in all I would say it's very doable. 

On 8/9/2018 at 4:23 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

SSI sells a $450 Sig X5 grip frame which can take enough tungsten weights to get the gun up to 43oz... so logcially, doing the reverse would be permitted via the rules.

However, if possible, take the needed weight out of your slide. Not your frame. Look at Limited and Open guns of late. They add a metal grip to double the weight of the frame, and lighten the slide as much as they can. It makes for faster but flatter recoiling guns.

I was reading the CO Appendix and under rule 21.5 it states “Note that the weight limits in D4-18 remain in force and relevant.” Meaning that even with an optic, you can only be 4oz heavier than the listed weight in the production list.

Thus, max weight with an X5 in CO would be 37.5oz

Edited by Red_Dot

3 hours ago, Red_Dot said:

I was reading the CO Appendix and under rule 21.5 it states “Note that the weight limits in D4-18 remain in force and relevant.” Meaning that even with an optic, you can only be 4oz heavier than the listed weight in the production list.

Thus, max weight with an X5 in CO would be 37.5oz

Weight limit for CO is 45 oz for all guns. You can add weight to get to 45.

13 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Weight limit for CO is 45 oz for all guns. You can add weight to get to 45.

Then the rules in the CO appendix are contradictory.

how would you interpret the reference to D4-18 then?

19 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

That is for Production

https://uspsa.org/viewer/Appendix_D7.pdf

That’s the Carry Optics appendix. Look at section 21.5, end of middle paragraph.

this is the Production appendix which has the referenced D4-18

https://uspsa.org/viewer/Appendix_D4.pdf

Why would they go out of their way to say “remain in force and relevant”?

18 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Are we talking CO or Production? CO weight limit is 45 oz.

I understand that the maximum weight limit is 45oz but what I am trying to say is that in the CO rules appendix, there is ALSO a very specific line (rule 21.5) that states that Rule D4-18 (maximum of 4oz over listed weight) is still remains in force and relevant. I interpret this to mean that, if you are shooting a pistol in CO that is, say, 28oz that when fully assembled with magazine, optic etcetera, you wouldn’t be able to weigh in at over 32oz.

this was directly referencing the tungsten grip module from SSI that supposedly gets the X5 up to 43oz (which listed weight is 33.5).

4 hours ago, Red_Dot said:

That’s the Carry Optics appendix. Look at section 21.5, end of middle paragraph.

this is the Production appendix which has the referenced D4-18

https://uspsa.org/viewer/Appendix_D4.pdf

Why would they go out of their way to say “remain in force and relevant”?

D4 18 is also incorrect now.  Production is listed +4 oz
Carry Optics is a flat max weight of 45 oz.  

Hey, threat, here is my exchange with Troy:

Me:

Hi Troy,

The question is in regards to making a weight limit in carry optics division. Currently, to the best of my understanding, internal modifications to pistols are not inherently prohibited as long as they are not visible or prohibited otherwise. I also understand that adding weights to lighter pistols, for example using heavy guide rods or grip space brass inserts with Glocks, is not prohibited either.

My question is if the rules allow or disallow to remove weight from pistol frames, internally and in a way not visible from the outside, for example, thinning of dustcover from the inside or removing metal from under the grips.

Troy:

As the Carry Optics rules state, there are a variety of ways to remove weight that are legal, including internal modifications.

13 hours ago, YVK said:

Hey, threat, here is my exchange with Troy:

Me:

Hi Troy,

The question is in regards to making a weight limit in carry optics division. Currently, to the best of my understanding, internal modifications to pistols are not inherently prohibited as long as they are not visible or prohibited otherwise. I also understand that adding weights to lighter pistols, for example using heavy guide rods or grip space brass inserts with Glocks, is not prohibited either.

My question is if the rules allow or disallow to remove weight from pistol frames, internally and in a way not visible from the outside, for example, thinning of dustcover from the inside or removing metal from under the grips.

Troy:

As the Carry Optics rules state, there are a variety of ways to remove weight that are legal, including internal modifications.

Boom, this is exactly what we needed. You sir are a scholar and a saint!