Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Rifles From Inside Vehicles ?

I don't want to find out the hard way that it will. ( expensive )

But I want to shoot my AR in the prone position out of the back of my vehicle when it's raining and muddy, or the chiggers and ticks are in " full on voracious " mode in the weeds.

Other than brass flying into the windows , is there cause for concern ?

Thanks in advance.

Travis F.

Last year our local 3gun match involved shooting rifles out of the passager window if a sedan while sitting in the driver sit. With both front door windows down there was no danger of rest of the windows getting damaged. However my comp did set the headlinner on fire for a brief few seconds. I think as long as one window is open you should be ok while shooting from the inside. As you dont want to put hole in your car I assume one will be.

No Problem use to shoot prairie rats (aka prairie dogs) out of the widow of the truck would even use the mirror as a rest. Never broke a window. But did loose a few pieces of brass down the heat vents until went to a brass catching bag. :D

In the early 70s my younger brother had a really bitchey new wife and she had a new chevy monte carlo with a really thick quilted vinyl top. He and I had been to town early one morning and on the way home saw two coytes about 350 yds across a oat patch and he decided he could hit one with my 7 mag. With his coat rolled up and placed on top of the car for a rest he took the shot. I will never forget the look on his face when the muzzle blast burned a 3 inch hole in the vinyl top, blew it up like a balloon, ripped a triangle out of it to both far corners and laid it over the far side of the car. Just took two rolls of duct tape and a very tense 45 min conversation to get the car ready to drive home that afternoon.-------Larry

IF you don't have a muzzle devices it ain't bad, just try and keep muzzle outside the vehicle. If you've got a muzzle devices, it WILL BE LOUD and you will dirty up or worse the inside of vehicle. It will also ruin paint

LOL !

The vinyl top story reminds me of an incedent several weeks ago .

Good thing the car was an old beater and the owner just patted the smoldering rooftop until it quit smoking . Smiled and shot over the trunk from then on.

Kinda rough on paint too...

Travis F.

I don't think it will hurt the glass in your vehicle, but I say with some certainty that firing a .243 from inside the kitchen will cause whatever your wife is holding to fall to the floor and break into many pieces.