Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 gen 4 dipping?

kitsune312

Recently tried using a glock 34 gen 4 (stock glock recoil spring) for practical shooting. 

I noticed my gun seems to dip on some shots. Normally i can finish a match with zero misses with my glock 17 (same spring set up), but when i switched to a glock 34, i ended up with 1 miss per stage on close shots.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

34 and 17 use the exact same recoil spring and assembly. They're interchangeable. The weight of the slide is close to the same weight. Very close if memory serves. 

For competition, most folks are using between 10-13 lb recoil springs. The factory is 16lbs. 

Not knowing anymore than what you've told us, I'm gonna say it's not a problem with the 34 vs the 17. I'm betting it's something your doing or not doing. The heavier spring can make the muzzle dip more but if it's truly the same set up as your 17, I doubt that it's happening on one gun and not the other. The 34 is around  .75" longer than the 17 but the weight is so close to being the same, I just don't think that's the problem. 

I'm betting your grip may need to be reassessed. That and you may be flinching?Flinching with a poor grip only compounds any problems. 

Most problems , if not all, with missing the targets at high speed is due to poor trigger control and poor grip. I mean, if a person aims at a target and misses they didn't keep the gun aimed thru the firing process. It had to have moved at some point. So, why did it move?  Flinch, poor trigger control?  When you do those and your grip is like a vise, the affects are minimized.  When your grip is not like a vise, the affects are....

Edited by B_RAD

Think about it. One dip per stage, which is about one per two to three dozen shots. That cannot be mechanical, it is too inconsistent. It has to be you. S&W686 is right on. It could be an occasional flinch, but it also could be an occasional trigger jerk in the moment, trying to be fast.

Try dry dry fire with with careful attention to your front sight. More than likely it will dip occasionally.

Try dry fire doubles, too, just pressing the trigger twice quickly. Do this with all safety precautions (double or triple confirmed empty gun, no magazines or ammo in the gun or even in the room) while walking around the house picking targets in quick succession, door knobs, light switches, vases, lamps, photos, as if you're shooting a stage. Put pressure on yourself. Even without having the gun "cocked" and while pressing against a retracted, unreset trigger,  you will see your inconsistencies emerge.

Here is Bob Vogel shooting double taps with a G34 very quickly, with no dips. Maybe because he's using John Wick's gun? Oops! That means he's using a gun with which he wasn't familiar other than it's a G34.

• 3 weeks later...

It's gotta be grip and probably a combo with the recoil spring.  Buy a set of 3 or 4 and test out the different weight with the loads you use.  See what ends up feeling the best and try that out for a few matches.  I wouldn't switch back and forth every match if you're not happy after that.  Give it some time for you to get the feel of the gun down.  I always favored a G34 with 147 grains, they seem to feel best out of it for me.