Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chiappa...

Davidp1911

Anyone one using a Chiappa at matches?
I shot a 2" in IDPA earlier this year. People were surprised how little muzzle flip it after eachs shot. The design works. A 40DS is .40S&W is on my wish list.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I’ve had 2 of them, a 5” and a 6”, both of them with the factory upgraded triggers. The 5” worked fine, the 6” had horrible trigger pulls on 2 of the 6 shots. I ended up selling them both, I didn’t think it was worth the headache. I liked the way they shot, but they were inconsistent for me.Nobody would work on them except for the factory.

I’ve had 2 of them, a 5” and a 6”, both of them with the factory upgraded triggers. The 5” worked fine, the 6” had horrible trigger pulls on 2 of the 6 shots. I ended up selling them both, I didn’t think it was worth the headache. I liked the way they shot, but they were inconsistent for me.Nobody would work on them except for the factory.
I called about a trigger job and was quoted $250. It really surprised me. The Charging Rhino comes with their lightest kit, but it would be legal and competitive in ICORE Limited 6. Nearest club was 3 hours, but I heard it is no longer active. :/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I would like to look at the Charging Rhino, but my local gun store won’t order one unless I’m buying it, and that’s not going to happen. I think the gun has potential if it works.

I would like to look at the Charging Rhino, but my local gun store won’t order one unless I’m buying it, and that’s not going to happen. I think the gun has potential if it works.

I use a Charging Rhino in competition and I used to use a 40DS in .38 . The Charging trigger pull is a hair above 7 lbs and smooth, but a little wonky. It’s heavier up front, then fast, and then a little heavy at the end. It’s in no way insurmountable but you do have to get used to it. I like how fast the 9mm reloads but you need to push them all the way into the cylinder. I’ve had them go in slightly proud, and I could close the cylinder but it wouldn’t turn. Again, you learn the quirks of it like any other gun.

The only other negative is that the pull is longer than a Smith so you find yourself working a little harder on double taps. I imagine it’s the same for people who run Rugers.

I greatly prefer the angle of the Charging grips over the factory ones as they’re a little more vertical and get you closer to the trigger. I buy the clones that David Tillander makes and then grind off the lower finger groove as it doesn’t match up with my (admittedly small) hands. Hogue does make Big Butts but I emailed them and apparently they’re not for sale to the public.

In terms of how it stacks up to other guns... I dunno. I sucked with my 40DS, I sucked with a Smith 627, and I suck with the Charging Rhino. I did make 50%+ in USPSA revo with the 627 but it’s hard to compare since that carries two extra shots in minor.

Ask me whatever you’d like to know and I’ll try to help. Or, on the long shot that you’re attending the IRC or Rocky Mountain Regionals, you’re more than welcome to check it out.

Oh, I assume you reload since you shoot revolver, but you pretty much have to to run this gun. It’ll set off Federal and Winchester primers all day long provided they’re fully seated. It’s nice that it works so well with Winchester so I don’t have to burn my dwindling supply of Federals.

I did give it a whirl with factory ammo a few times. Federal always went boom, Winchester occasionally didn’t.

Indeed. To be blunt - I got really bored with shooting revolver. The 627 was finicky and I felt like I was fighting it all the time, so I figured, "what the hell, I'm terrible anyway, I'd at least like to shoot a gun I enjoy". I flipped the 627 and picked up a Charging Rhino.

It works well. Better than a standard Rhino with a trigger job, IMHO. The only misfires I've had were with factory ammo (but that's true of about any tuned revolver, regardless of make). I'm going to be running it for the next few months leading up to the IRC so hopefully I can get some mojo going.

Oh, the last thing I should probably mention is the trigger shape. It's very wide - think like old-school S&W "target" triggers. I basically ride the outer edge with the first joint of my index finger but I'm still trying to find a totally consistent pull.

Paul the friend of mine that got me into shooting IDPA and then shooting REV in IDPA is shooting a 38/357 4" Chiappa and doing quite well . He won REV division at the VA State IDPA match this year and REV Division at The Carolina Cup two weeks ago . He uses Comp III speedloaders that he has cut down and he also has to alter the internals slightly to get them to release the cartridges in the Rhino cylinder. The only problem I am aware of that he has had with the Rhino was breaking a firing pin at a local match . The firing pin broke after thousands of dry fires in practice and a year of monthly matches I thinking. It is a real treat to watch him shoot and hope to be as good as him when I grow up.

Edited by eggman

I made a playlist of my stages at the ICORE 2018 Rocky Mountain Regionals: 

Apologies that the video isn't great; I can't always tell where my knockoff GoPro is pointing. Long story short, I did decent (2/3 in Limited 6, 3/6 in L6 + Classic, 22/40 overall). A better shooter than me could probably really make this gun sing.

For now, more practice... and then the 2018 IRC.

Edited by matteekay

Nice shooting Matt. Was that the Charging Rhino? And where did you get those red grips? Sorry, just saw a previous post that it was the Charging Rhino.

Edited by twister