Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steelmaster in 9 major

Dane460

I own 2 Steel Masters... I asked a gunsmith to build a top end with a 5" barrel to shoot major.. have never shot major with my steel masters.. but.. one shooter I shoot with often shoots major with his Steel Master... its gosh awful loud... I guess because of the shorter comp... don't know what loads he is using.. 

Isn't Steelmaster basically a Matchmaster with a bit more aggressive slide cuts and probably lighter springs? I'm running major on my matchmaster and cant think of any reason why the steelmaster wouldn't handle it if you put in stronger springs. I'm having a hard time fitting enough RS24 in the case to make major, so I wouldn't use popple holes unless you get a long barrel.

My recoil spring is 9 and main spring 19 pounds

fyi when i inquired about shooting 9 major in my steel master, here is what sti told me:  All you need is a 4.15 heavy recoil master and shooting major in that pistol will not affect the lifespan anymore than it will in any other comp. gun. 

i haven't shot major in it though, at least yet.

Other than the grip you didn’t change anything in your steelmaster to run major? 
I bought it used so can't tell for sure. I think it's heavier than of MatchMaster's default. It won't cycle minor reliably. I believe it is the comp that reduces speed of the slide and barrel and I don't think SteelMaster comp is any worse than of Infinity, which is also relatively short. Looks good on gas leak test with SP2 and 3N38.

STI website do not currently list light 4" recoil system, only medium and heavy. Nor they also list 4" barrel with T2/TX2 anymore. Go figure.

The steel grip is a deal breaker. The balance is excellent and the gun is still light.

• 2 weeks later...