Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Redhawk moon clips

pskys2

Nope - the "standard" moon clips for .45 ACP are too thick - Ruger (for whatever reason) chose to design the head spacing on the Redhawk to require a thinner moon clip. The chamber spacing (bolt circle) is the same as on S&W's, so a .45 LC speed-loader for a S&W would work (for .45 LC) - but the moon clips are not interchangeable.

They most likely want you to purchase Ruger moon clips as well.  I was interested in a 357 Redhawk 8 shot as a packin' pistol until I learned my hundreds of Revolver Supply 0.025 clips will not work.  They would sell more revolvers (I think) if they made them interchangeable with support equipment people already posses.

Jsson

Thanks guys, looking at a 45 acp 4" revolver for IDPA, fun, etc... Love the idea of a 45 colt/acp and thought Ruger was cheap and different.  

Had a buddy who shot a 4" 25 in 45 colt and used acp with moon clips.  Just for kicks.

On my .357 Redhawk, the RS moonclips for the N-Frames are just a smidge too big in diameter.  I took the cylinder and opened up the counterbore for the moon clips.  They work just fine now.  I suspect anybody with access to a lathe could do this quickly for you.

23 hours ago, pskys2 said:

Are the moon clips used for a Ruger Redhawk 45 acp/45 colt the same as the moon clips used in N Frame Smiths?

25/625 moonclips are .040 thick.

Ruger moonclips are .032 thick but hole spacing is the same.

Could machine .008 off the cylinder and star and use S&W moonclips.