Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are We Not Men . . .

Mig

. . . We Are DEVO.

One of my all time favorite band is coming to town next weekend(Aug 13-14) and I can not attend. DEVO is the group who wear flowerpot hats and had a hit with the song "Whip it". They're touring for just a few weeks this summer and they're coming to the 930 Nightclub (Washington DC) and probably won't be back anytime soon.

I'm bummed :(

post-1359-1123275365_thumb.jpg

It’s a beautiful world

For you

look at you with your mouth watering

look at you with your mind spinning

why don't we just admit it's all over

she's just the girl you want

in ancient rome there was a poem

about a dog who had two bones

he picked at one he licked the other

he went in circles till he dropped dead

freedom of choice is what you got

freedom of choice is what you want

Mongoloid he was a mongoloid

Happier than you and me

Mongoloid he was a mongoloid

And it determined what he could see

I was working house sound (it was my system rented to the club) at the Mabuhay Gardens (a famous punk club of the 70's in San Francisco) when DEVO came through on their first tour to support De-evolution and the Are We Not Men? album. It was Standing Room Only, you couldn't fall down in the place if you tried ;-) Great show, they actually had me mix their monitors because they only had one tech with them on the tour (they were traveling in a couple of vans). Rocked the house and blew everyones minds with a great piece of artistic showmanship.

BTW, I was in DC for a few weeks in 90 and hung out at the 930 bigtime. Glad to hear it's still there. Cool club!

--

Regards,

Caught their show up in Central Park NYC last summer and it was awsome. Sold out show - standing room only that you couldn't fall down kind - outdoors in the rain. They put on a great show and I would recommend seeing them.

Wonder why Bear1142 hasn't chripped in as he is also a big fan. ^_^

The 930 club is still in business but they moved to another building in town.

post-1359-1123275324_thumb.jpg

I was working house sound (it was my system rented to the club) at the Mabuhay Gardens (a famous punk club of the 70's in San Francisco)...

I used to play the Mabuhay Gardens quite a bit in the 80's.

Favorite nights: Chris Isaac & Silvertone opening the show for us!

Us opening for Xmal Deutschland.

-Chet

Chet, I worked the Mab from 76 through late 78. The bigtime punk scene at the Mab was pretty dead by 81-82. Moved my systems to some other clubs for the next few years and did rental reinforcement through Matrix Sound till 83 when I went fulltime as a video engineer and got out of audio and music for a living.

Name the band, I probably mixed for, or employed someone who mixed for you and probably saw ya several times too! I was big into the SF club scene from 76 to 83.

The Dead Kennedy's were (still are) my absolute favorite punk band. They used to refuse to stop playing until they were done and I remember a couple nights that went way, way late. What's a club owner gonna do when the crowd don't wanna stop either. That was back when you didn't call moshing anything, you just did it ;-)

--

Regards,

Chet, here's a Q: What rehearsal studios did you use? Francisco, China Blue, Iguana, JK?

Did you ever play the Palms, Last day Saloon, On Broadway, Stone, Sound Of Music, Keystone Berserkley, I-Beam, Berserkley Square, or Full Moon Saloon? Mixed at, or rented gear to them all at one time or another.

We've got to have met, or crossed path at one point or another.

Some other local bands I worked with over the yewars: Non-Fiction, Mojo, Borneo, Avengers, Nightfood (with Jaco Pastorius) and Translator.

--

Regards,

You will know it's just for the money when they play Konocti Harbor in Clear Lake ;-)

Note: Conocti Harbor is a local Northern CA joke. It's a resort where all the washups play for cash on summer weekends. You can see Huey Louis and the News there all the time ;-0

--

Regards,

Chet, here's a Q: What rehearsal studios did you use? Francisco, China Blue, Iguana, JK?

Did you ever play the Palms, Last day Saloon, On Broadway, Stone, Sound Of Music, Keystone Berserkley, I-Beam, Berserkley Square, or Full Moon Saloon? Mixed at, or rented gear to them all at one time or another.

We've got to have met, or crossed path at one point or another.

Some other local bands I worked with over the yewars: Non-Fiction, Mojo, Borneo, Avengers, Nightfood (with Jaco Pastorius) and Translator.

Wow. A lot of questions. Man, it's been a while but I'll try:

I lived/played in the SF bay area from '83-90.

Rehearsal Spaces: The Farm in SF, The Rock Gardens in SJ, and a place that I can't remember the name of in deep (crack city) East Palo Alto. It was an old motel that was converted into rehearsal spaces.

Recording studios: Russian Hill, DR Recording.

Clubs I've played at: The Mabuhay, Chi-Chi Club, The Stone (great side fill monitors), Full Moon Saloon, Keystone Palo Alto, Slims, The Firehouse, Keystone Berkely, I-Beam, Muzzie's (SJ), The Laundry Works (SJ)...

Bands I played bass in: Pandamania, World for Ransom, Shadows as Tall as Trees, Ground Zero, and a band called The Shrugs.

My favorite bands back then: The Uptones, Monkey Rhythm, Dot 3, The Endmen, Limbomaniacs...

-Chet

• 4 weeks later...
Wow,  Chet had hair?  Go figure.....

Actually, I've been trying the hair thing again recently. I'm surprised how much I can still grow on the sides.

Don't expect to see a strand of it at the Texas Limited! B)

-Chet

PS - Wanna see something really crazy?

post-553-1126146001_thumb.jpg