Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC magazine movement

I built a PCC out of various parts. The problem that has came up began as a feeding issue. The bullet would ram into the back of the barrel. After troubleshooting various other things, I’ve determined that when the 33+ round magazines are loaded in the gun they can rock backward/forward. The issue occurs when they are pushing back (tested by Pulling/pushing the magazine to each end of the mag well).  

I wad was wondering if anyone else had experienced this or knew a reasonable fix until a JP is in the budget. 

Thanks in advance. 

16 minutes ago, jeremy kemlo said:

Not sure exactly where or how he does it. But a friend of mine has worked on most of the PCC guns out here. He puts in set screws in the gun to get rid of any wiggle in the magazine.This has fixed feeding issues.

Seems like it would work. Can you get any pictures?

16 minutes ago, mahamoti said:

Taccom feed ramp.

That's what I was going to recommend (inexpensive and easy to install) but I would like to hear more about the placement of set screws.  I wonder if they will adversely affect reloads.

It took thousands of rounds for my lower to loosen up to where it had problems.  The 9mm feed ramp was installed and no further problems.  That was over 2000 rds ago.

40 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

That's what I was going to recommend (inexpensive and easy to install) but I would like to hear more about the placement of set screws.  I wonder if they will adversely affect reloads.

It took thousands of rounds for my lower to loosen up to where it had problems.  The 9mm feed ramp was installed and no further problems.  That was over 2000 rds ago.

Did you have to modify your bolt any to make the feed ramp work? Thinking about trying one when they get back in stock. 

1 minute ago, PharmDShooter said:

Did you have to modify your bolt any to make the feed ramp work? Thinking about trying one when they get back in stock. 

MY PSA bolt works fine with the feedramp installed.  

I'm also interested in the set screws.

6 minutes ago, PharmDShooter said:

No modifications needed to the bolt.  Just need to fit the ramp to the upper receiver with some needle files.  A 15 minute job.  A utility knife to scribe where you need to file and a bench vise to hold the upper is helpful.

I plan on installing the ramps in a several other uppers as insurance.  So far they do not seem to need it but its cheap insurance.  

1 minute ago, Flatland Shooter said:

No modifications needed to the bolt.  Just need to fit the ramp to the upper receiver with some needle files.  A 15 minute job.  A utility knife to scribe where you need to file and a bench vise to hold the upper is helpful.

I plan on installing the ramps in a several other uppers as insurance.  So far they do not seem to need it but its cheap insurance.  

I used a regular file and turned it sideways.  It was a perfect match for the size of the feedramp.  It was also very easy to keep it straight.

45 minutes ago, Patrick Scott said:

I wasnt having any problems due to magazine rock, but just for fun, on one mag I used to JB weld to build up a pad on the back of the mag. Worked really well to reduce the rock. 

How did this effect reloads? I made a similar shim with a thin piece of metal and duck tape and it fixed the feed issue but reloads didn’t work. 

4 minutes ago, PharmDShooter said:

How did this effect reloads? I made a similar shim with a thin piece of metal and duck tape and it fixed the feed issue but reloads didn’t work. 

No effect at all. The mag is mostly in before the pad makes contact with the lower. 

fitpad.jpg

Edited by Patrick Scott
15 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

This!!

In both of our PCC's, one with a JP barrel and other with Taccom ULW upper. Both had occasional feeding issues like described. Installed in both and have not had a problem since. Best $20 I have spent. 

gerritm