Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Weight differences Production/CO's??

Anyone have the answer as to why there is difference between the plastic guns and the metal guns in these classes???? Does it all go back to the "boat anchor" on the front of the Glock????....

So the question is why are metal framed guns more common in production than carry optics? Or do I misunderstand?

Simple answer, maybe correct, until very recently optic ready poly models were readily available, metal weren't.

The most popular metal guns don't make 45oz easy with an optic.

Optic ready poly guns + optic are less than equal to Stock 2/Shadow 2 just gun cost.

39 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

So the question is why are metal framed guns more common in production than carry optics? Or do I misunderstand?

Simple answer, maybe correct, until very recently optic ready poly models were readily available, metal weren't.

The most popular metal guns don't make 45oz easy with an optic.

Optic ready poly guns + optic are less than equal to Stock 2/Shadow 2 just gun cost.

You can get a Shadow 2 into CO.  Just have to take advantage of the rules with the slide lightening.  We have a guy at our club who has his all done with a Delta Point Pro on it.  Comes in right at the weight limit.  He had all of the work done by CZ Custom and Cajun.  

For production you can buy a Tanfo or CZ, add mags, do a trigger job go shoot.
To use them in CO you have weight issues, and all that machining costs,,  plus its a PIA shipping guns, more cost , plus now you have a modified gun probably worth half what you put into it.
Its also a new division and majority of shooters are just trying it out,, Which means people arnt as likely to go high end gun right out the gate.

Well, it's simple to guess that a metal frame pistol MIGHT weigh more than a plastic gun. Just curious as to the "why" in USPSA..... IF they put out a MAX weight for ALL of them, where would the advantage be for the "plastic" guns????... 

I'm sorry, I'm trying to get where you're going here, but I think most of us are lost. There is no advantage with a plastic gun, but that isn't to say plastic isn't competitive. Max keeps winning with a 320 X5. Are you saying there IS an advantage or there should be? Are you unhappy with the 45oz. weight? I'm sure what you are trying to convey is clear to you, but we aren't getting it. 

Obviously, someone at USPSA decided how much these guns should weigh?.... I thought this would be clear in my post??? .   So say, if I took  a Glock and made it 45 oz's. (Or what was ever the max. weight is at the time ), I would have an illiegal gun?... But say, I got any metal frame gun to the max. weight allowed, I'm legal???.... You will always have the argument of a "heavy" gun versis a "light" gun. and muzzle flip.. Give ANY GM shooter ANY gun (plastic or metal) and they will out shoot most of us... I'm done, appently I didn't explain my question well???..  And the anwser is .....32 oz's of plastic = 45 oz's of metal???... I'm done.

Edited by mike NM

I don't think you understand what is allowed and not allowed.

First of all, some people prefer a lighter gun. It is faster to swing on target transitions. It also has less inertia and stops swinging faster as well. Some people, especially people with smaller stature, tend to go with polymer over steel.

Next, if you shoot a lightweight plastic gun, you are welcome to add weight internally (e.g. a grip plug or a tungsten guide rod) in Carry Optics all the way up to the 45 oz limit. There is nothing illegal about weight to your Glock internally to increase the weight. You just can't add weight externally, like a flashlight or other weight that clamps on to the raiil.

Obviously, someone at USPSA decided how much these guns should weigh?.... I thought this would be clear in my post??? .   So say, if I took  a Glock and made it 45 oz's. (Or what was ever the max. weight is at the time ), I would have an illiegal gun?... But say, I got any metal frame gun to the max. weight allowed, I'm legal???.... You will always have the argument of a "heavy" gun versis a "light" gun. and muzzle flip.. Give ANY GM shooter ANY gun (plastic or metal) and they will out shoot most of us... I'm done, appently I didn't explain my question well???..  And the anwser is .....32 oz's of plastic = 45 oz's of metal???... I'm done.
Why all the question marks?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk