Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Time For A New Press

38supPat

After using my Dillon RL550 recently I think I have decided it is due to be replaced...it is nearly 20 years old...I want to get a new RL550B but I don't know whether there are any shipping problems getting it sent to Canada, anyone know?

If it weren't for cross border shipping it would be a no-brainer. But if the old one gets held up at customs on the way down, then gets held again on the way back, it could be along time before I see it again.

Besides it's pretty worn, how much will they do to rebuild it? It might need a new frame even.

When we rebuild a loader, we first tear it all apart, throw all the pieces into the solvent tank, and clean everything. ( a glass beading machine is available if needed <_< ). After a thorough cleaning, the parts are inspected, replaced as needed, then reassembled and tested. To be honest, I don't think we've had to replace a 550 frame or shaft due to wear. The highest round count we've seen on a 550 was from a small commercial loader that had a documented 3.3 million rounds of 9x19mm loaded on it, as he had sales receipts for that amount.

Typical in-house turnaround time is about two weeks. Because you are in Canada, we will hit you up for return shiping costs. Figure two to three weeks shipping time each way, due to unavoidable delays in Customs. Dillon, among other firearms related suppliers, is on the Canadian Customs watch list. Any parcel with our name on it gets extra special scrutiny. I guess we're just special!

Isn't that super? :blink:

There are restrictions on shipping reloading equipment to Canada. We cannot ship any reloading components, major firearm parts, high-cap magazines nor revolver speedloaders to Canada. :ph34r:

You should DEFINITELY buy a new press. The possibility of not having a press for 5 weeks is unthinkable unless you're a wuss ;) Is that a good enough excuse for you?

What else blows my mind is a company that will take a 20 year old press and rebuild it for the cost of shipping :P From my experience they could care less if you bought it new or used. I'm almost embarassed to call them about a part for a used press, yet they seem thrilled to send out parts for free.

No wonder Dillon owners are near fanatical about the Company. Of course it doesn't hurt that they also make kick-ass products. The last 7000 rounds (at least) I've loaded on my SDB involved nothing more than inserting cases and bullets, and keeping it loaded up with primers and powder. As close to perfection as it gets.

Pat,

Might as well get a 650.  Once it is setup and running, send the 550 off to AZ.

I gotta ask though...is the 550 giving you trouble now?

Or even a 1050. There's something very soothing about knowing that there's a backup press on the bench; at least when you're in the habit of loading on match morning......

Unfortunately space is an issue. I have a friend that bought a 650 and damn its big! I'd much prefer to have one but just can't find space to mount it.

The 550 isn't really giving me trouble yet...well theres the odd glitch but nothing stripping and cleaning the press usually doesn't cure. Partly it's just old and has a few things that need looking after before it becomes a problem, it was also my Uncles press before I got it and it sat in storage for along time, my concern about wear on the frame comes more from the possibility of corrosion from sitting around then being put back into service for many, many thousands of rounds. It has never failed me and works pretty much every time. It will seize up every now and then or the powder bar might give some problems, sticking and such. Also its a 550, and never had the 'B' upgrades. I'm missing some parts from moving it a couple of times recently (like those pins that hold the tool head in place (a pair of 1/8 drill bit seem to fit fine)

Its not so much that it needs to be rebuilt or replaced right now, but if I do I know I'll get another 20 years out of it.

Using the press last night, seems pretty good, maybe all it needs is a cleaning and the 550B upgrade kit, will Dillon still send these parts out? As a kit?

Pat

The "B" upgrade parts are available in two parts; the low primer alarm and mechanical return assembly for the powder measure, part #20250, $27.95

and the locking linkage for the powder measure, #97034,$12.95.

Order via phone, as parts aren't available online. :ph34r:

One thing you will want to be aware of is if your powder measure(s) is/are 20 years old, the lock-link bellcrank upgrade kit for the powder measure will probably not work without modification to the measure body. The older measure body was threaded for the bellcrank bolt and the threads were cut with a bottom tap (they don't go all the way through the measure body). At some point, Dillon did away with the threads in the the measure body and secured the (longer) bellcrank bolt with a nut. If you only have one powder measure, it might be easier just to skip the bellcrank upgrade and buy a new powder measure.