Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV N105 - 38 Super

jeffz

All,

I wish to develop a major PF 38 super load for my commander size handgun with a fully supported barrel. I wish to use Blue Bullets 125 gr RN bullet.

The VV reloading table shows 125 gr FMJ and JHP loads for N105. The min load shows at about 1400 fps. Is it safe to use the polymer coated bullet at min load and work up if necessary? I usually user lead bullet data when I load the polymer coated bullets.

Thanks

Comparing the Vihtavuori recipies for 3N37 and N350, between "FMJ-FP, Hornady" and " LSWC, Intercast" ... it looks like the lead bullet goes faster with less powder.

1400 fps seems overkill if you are just trying to make Major.

Can your bullets take that velocity?

I agree, just over 1330fps with a124/125gr will get you major power factor. Personally for USPSA I run 1360 to 1370 fps. Different chrono's  temp humidity and much more have some factor in changing the PF so at 1360 give or take with a 124gr Rainier Ballistic RN I have never missed major at around 50 plus majors so far. Good luck.  

Only complaint I had with 3N38 was in the Winter I get an occasional brilliant muzzle flash that is 2 foots in diameter and bright white. I use 9.0 3N37 behind a 115gr jacketed bullet. Both had consistent velocity and good accuracy. 

14 hours ago, jeffz said:

Thanks again. I found the older version of the VV reloading manual and it has the 38 SC load data. I will be moving to 3n38. Between the info here and the older VV manual, I should be fine.

Is the manual something that you could post here - as attachment or link?