Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM drum

I have just seen advertising for an F5 brand 9MM 50 round drum magazine

in the Colt form factor and wondered if anyone has experience with these yet? 

Edited by DFABOVE

hunting is often fun.

I have been told hunting turkeys is fun.

... I have NEVER seen one when I was hunting them...

but if you don't know the game exists, you can't hunt it...

and since I currently live in maryland  I can't have one anyway.

miranda

Memphis Mechanic,

That is not the one,Google F5 brand and it was in stock @ $169.00 plus shipping.I also so the same branded one $199.00 @ prepper gun shop also in stock.

Since I have not Shot PCC in a match yet and don't know all of the in's and out's can a drum like this be used? I know the mag extensions are ok .

I am in a state where Colt pattern is the only way to go.

30 minutes ago, JimTaylor said:

Go with F5. Works right out of the box. Outstanding product and customer service. 

Best regards,

Jim Taylor

Jim - can you paste a picture of your F5 drum?  F5 manufacturing and X-Products products look remarkably similar.  Same drums ... same "soda can launchers".

4 hours ago, DFABOVE said:

Memphis Mechanic,

That is not the one,Google F5 brand and it was in stock @ $169.00 plus shipping.I also so the same branded one $199.00 @ prepper gun shop also in stock.

Since I have not Shot PCC in a match yet and don't know all of the in's and out's can a drum like this be used? I know the mag extensions are ok .

I am in a state where Colt pattern is the only way to go.

A drum is legal in USPSA PCC.  https://uspsa.org/viewer/Appendix_D8.pdf

Like most things, they have their place. However, in a sport like USPSA where your largest stage should be 32 rounds, there may be limited utility vs. a big stick. 

Drums are heavy and sometimes a bit clunky. But depending on the design, they can be significantly shorter than a stick mag of similar or smaller capacity. This could be a benefit if shooting through some really low ports. 

On on the other hand, some subgun matches have stages that require 150 or 200 rounds to complete. Drums really come in handy there. 

On 6/8/2018 at 11:13 AM, Tampa-XD45 said:

Jim - can you paste a picture of your F5 drum?  F5 manufacturing and X-Products products look remarkably similar.  Same drums ... same "soda can launchers".

I'll post some photos tomorrow. My experience is flawless operation thus far with F5 (2 Scorpion Drums), and problematic, unreliable operation with X-Products (Colt Pattern). 

The drums are compact and make it easy to manipulate the rifle. Super long magazines are not conducive to prone shooting. 

Best regards,

Jim

24 minutes ago, Suburban Commando said:

Of course. SGM and Beta, to name two.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Well, sort of. There are drum mags designed to work with a Glock. So these should function in an AR designed for Glock mags. 

However, being designed for a Glock handgun means the feed tower is long enough to fit in a Glock grip. This is going to be a bit longer than an AR15 magwell. So you get a drum that hangs down much farther than is necessary for the carbine. 

You don't get the optimal fit, such as the standard Colt-pattern Beta Mag in an AR15/9. 

I am not aware of a drum with a Glock-style feed tower that is sized optimally for an AR15/9. But what is out there should feed and function. 

I found a drum to be far superior in balance and maneuverability of the gun. Mess centralization and no moment arm.

The negative is I never really know how many rounds were in it at a match. So I would load it to 45 the first stage of the day and then always put 35 in it every stage after that. But it always bugged me I never really knew for a fact. Even with a loader I never got in the habit of unloading it totally after a stage and then reloading it again.