Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PPQ guide rods

Honeybooboo

Thinking about grabbing a PPQ to play with. I’ve shot a couple. Biggest con with them is that they are flippy so I want to add some weight. Figured I’d try out the M2 5” regular with no slide cuts since the slide should be a little heavier than the Q5. 

TTI has the base pads. Does anyone make steel guide rods and springs for the PPQ?

I installed the Sprinco spring system in my 5inch. I truely couldnt tell you if it is any better then the factory spring but I do feel better knowing there is metal not just plastic

https://ssguiderods.com/shop/walther-ppq-m2-stainless-steel-guide-rod/ - ask them to ship you one without the spring and with no loctite on the screw.

I would recommend the 15lb Wilson flat-wire spring if using factory ammo or the 13lb if using 130-135PF

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-5-Full-Size-Chrome-Silicon-15-Lb/productinfo/614G15/

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Spring-5-Full-Size-Chrome-Silicon-13-Lb/productinfo/614G13/

Edited by BritinUSA

The slide on the standard M2 is within 0.1-0.2 oz of the weight of the Q5’s. I had a friend at Walther weigh them both for me. Susprising, but true.

Also, a heavier slide increases muzzle flip: increase the weight that’s reciprocating and your sight picture is affected more.

This is why limited and open guns have  agressively lightened slides and a lot of weight down in the frame. The frame won’t be affected as much by the action of a cycling slide that way. The gun stays flatter.

If you want weight, run the $100 tungsten guide rod that Walther sells. That’s in the right spot to flatten the gun out.

All that said...

I came from a 45 oz Tanfoglio Stock 3 into the Q5, which means switching from the softest Production gun into one of the snappier feeling guns.

My times and hits during a bill drill or the like? No change. The gun feels different, true. But if your grip is doing its job and you’re in tune with the way your gun is sprung? The splits and hits won’t be slowed down.

The recoil imuplse’s feel is pretty much irrelevant to how good your scores with a given gun can be.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

FYI - If you decided to go with a lighter recoil spring such as a 13lb spring, you may want to replace the factory striker spring to a 28 (6.3lbs) or 29N (6.5 lbs) one to balance the spring rate between them and significantly reduce the sloppiness at the battery / FTRTB. I put a 28N spring in and have had no light strike with the CCI small pistol primer (400 rounds).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/6/2018 at 1:39 AM, jaep1911 said:

FYI - If you decided to go with a lighter recoil spring such as a 13lb spring, you may want to replace the factory striker spring to a 28 (6.3lbs) or 29N (6.5 lbs) one to balance the spring rate between them and significantly reduce the sloppiness at the battery / FTRTB. I put a 28N spring in and have had no light strike with the CCI small pistol primer (400 rounds).

Would glock's striker spring fit into the Q5 or someone sells different weight striker springs for Walther as well?