Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob seeking help for 3-gun

Schmadam

Hey everyone out there,

Im sure you see this plenty on the forums, but i am coming to all of you for some assistance.  I've been self training in the stall range for quite some time and am actually starting with an instructor on an outdoor range soon, but i would like some direction as to what gear i should keep an eye out for.  I have been noticing people use battle belts mostly over plate carriers and chest rigs.  in my opinion, i feel a battle belt would be better.  I was hoping atleast a few people could recommend or talk about the belts that they use, with some pros and cons to them.  

Remember, I am a NOOB and i have no problem admitting that.  

Hope to get some great answers back.

Thanks!

Awesome, thanks for the response.  Looking through the other forums i did see a lot of people say they were using that system.  Ill definitely look it up.  

Thank you!

hit a match or two or three before you start buying stuff.  most everyone will be more than happy to show you what they have and how it works for them.  myself, i just use the typical uspsa dual layer belt (inner belt goes thru belt loops, outer belt has holster, mag pouches, shell caddies, etc on it and just velcro's over the inner belt, outer belt is oriented so the ends/overlap are at the rear, not the front).  you generally don't want a belt buckle or the like up front as that takes up valuable real estate where shell caddies can go.

I definitely have a good amount of research to do before making a decision.  Im just happy that there are people in this community that want to help steer me in the right direction.   Thanks for the info guys, im going to take everything into consideration.

44 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Safariland ELS and there is no need for the ratchet if your shooting buddy can pull it tight in the back for you!!

nothing like a little reach around to get the blood flowing before a match!

The Carbon Arms belt system is the best answer by far as the holes in it accommodate ELS and/or TMMS from Bladetech.

Adding the ratchet to an existing belt works, but its not as elegant. ELS holes dont line up well with other stuff.

Velcro-only belts start running out of contact area with inner belt once you have holster and shotshell caddies and pistol mag pouches and rifle mag pouches attached...

OP I looked at it from your view when I first started, and I picked up a Galco Cobra buckle belt at about $65. About the strongest belt you can possibly buy, but the problem was where the Velcro overlaps it's 3/8-1/2 inch thick. No bueno for Tek lok or really any kind of attaching hardware. 

after looking up all the  ones mentioned above, it seem like there are some really good options out there.  I personally like the ELS system and the CARBS system because of what looks like ease of customizing and swapping carriers and such.  I can tell that the ELS system is quite popular, and for good reason it seems.  It also seems like there are more options out for it as well.  I still going to do more research before i start buying anything.  

Thanks again for all the input guys, i really appreciate it!

47 minutes ago, Schmadam said:

after looking up all the  ones mentioned above, it seem like there are some really good options out there.  I personally like the ELS system and the CARBS system because of what looks like ease of customizing and swapping carriers and such.  I can tell that the ELS system is quite popular, and for good reason it seems.  It also seems like there are more options out for it as well.  I still going to do more research before i start buying anything.  

Thanks again for all the input guys, i really appreciate it!

The only real down side to the ELS is the was it buckles.  And for 3gun you really have to run the buckle in the back. 

3 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

The only real down side to the ELS is the was it buckles.  And for 3gun you really have to run the buckle in the back. 

Thats why im still hesitant on buying anything.  i feel like if it has some type of buckle its just going to get in the way unless its in the back.  Ive looked at the dual belt Velcro systems and i dont feel like those hold as well as a buckle system would.  plus, the ELS and the CARBS system both have the premade holes in the belts for your attachments and the like.  

I still have a lot to think about haha 

10 minutes ago, Schmadam said:

Thats why im still hesitant on buying anything.  i feel like if it has some type of buckle its just going to get in the way unless its in the back.  Ive looked at the dual belt Velcro systems and i dont feel like those hold as well as a buckle system would.  plus, the ELS and the CARBS system both have the premade holes in the belts for your attachments and the like.  

I'm right there with you. I've avoided the 2 part Velcro belts because Velcro wears out. But I already have a lot of Tek lok stuff and getting one of these fancy belts will cause me a complete revamp. If you could ratchet an ELS I'd do that in a heart beat, would still be able to use me Tek lok stuff

Edited by mikek2111987

58 minutes ago, Schmadam said:

Ive looked at the dual belt Velcro systems and i dont feel like those hold as well as a buckle system would.  

eh, they hold perfectly.  does help to velcro the backs of the various attachments (mag pouches and shell caddies), so velco is touching velcro all the way around.  with decent overlap in the back, and a belt keeper over that, nothing is coming loose or off.

i did order a pair of those tmms thingies.  would be nice to be able to easily remove the two shell caddies in the front for prone stages.  very uncomfortable and/or something's gonna break.

1 hour ago, Schmadam said:

I use the Safariland belt and the Carbon Arms ratchet system. I cut the belt to length and this removed the stupid and annoying posts. I have two belts this way, one for USPSA and the other for 3gun. My only complain is that I did not do it sooner than I did. 

17 minutes ago, dthomas1003 said:

I use the Safariland belt and the Carbon Arms ratchet system. I cut the belt to length and this removed the stupid and annoying posts. I have two belts this way, one for USPSA and the other for 3gun. My only complain is that I did not do it sooner than I did. 

Which safariland belt? ELS 32?

1 hour ago, dthomas1003 said:

Well damn, thats a smart idea.  and it looks like it fits on there pretty well.  Im guessing it also holds up pretty well with all the movements you do?

1 hour ago, mikek2111987 said:

There is normally Velcro on the end right? Did you have to order a few sizes up for extra material?

No need for a bigger than your regular size, there is plenty of over lap. The velcro runs the entire length of the inside of the belt. 

6 minutes ago, Schmadam said:

Well damn, thats a smart idea.  and it looks like it fits on there pretty well.  Im guessing it also holds up pretty well with all the movements you do?

It fits well does not move at all.