Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Stroke M1100 Competition Master

tpe187

I have a brand new Remingtion Competition master. I made some shells up, went to the range and not one of them would cycle the action. It moved about an inch and that was it. I checked the fit of the all the gas parts and everything was well. I hand cycled about a hundred rounds to try to break it in, but no luck.

My reloads were AA hulls, 18.3gr of Clays for an average of 1143fps out of this gun. Shooting 1 1/8 ounce of #5's. Wads are Blue Duster Win AA12 replacement. Primers are WIN 209.

As a test, I purchase some sporting clays loads from the range, which were Federal game loads, 71/2 shot at 1290 with 1oz load. Still didn't work.

Today, I called Remingtion and told them of the problem. After speaking with some folks in the repair center, they stated that the minimum the competition master would cycle were 1 1/4 ounce loads at 3 and 1/4 dram, which equates to 1220fps.

Now, that sounds like a bit much to me. I don't know what would make this any different than a skeet 1100 that can fire 1 1/8 loads at 1200fps all day long. Granted, mine were a little slower, but shouldn't be that bad.

As a side note, I dissassembled it when I got it and cleand everything. No lube on anything but the trigger and a little in the reciever area. Piston and seal are of the new one piece variety with flat side toward trigger and barrel seal in groove of mag tube..

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Should I send to someone to get the ports opened a little bit, try a different wad/powder combo, or maybe try to break it in a little more. Any parts to polish that would smooth it up a bit. Thanks for any help

Tom

1 1/4 oz only...?!

Buwahahahaha!!!!! Those boys crack me up.

Open up the gas ports to 0.100" or a little better and put in a decent o-ring. After a couple cases, it will cycle fine. The 1100 is somewhat sensitive to the type of lube you use. Use Mobil 1, militec, fp-10, anything *besides* CLP. CLP is just a lousy lubricant. It gave me fits with my 1100.

You can also do some polishing on the bolt, barrel hood, and a few internals to slick things up. My barrel hood/extension thingy was pretty rough, so I buffed the bejeezus out of it and things are better.

Do a search. There's a ton of resources here on how to make the 1100 run.

With my new Comp Master, I locked the bolt back whenever I stored it for a few months; that should help also. After a while it'll cycle slightly easier.

And like Eric said, good o-rings, and a nice light lube.

I shoot light target load, Federal or Win, and it runs fine all day long.

Check all the posts about the gas ports...

They're 'around' .090 factory... people go up to .125 - grab a drill and do it.. like Eric said, .100 - do it now - you can go up later if you want. or go up one port at a time past that, but that's the minimum.

Mine will cycle 2 3/4 drams loads now, but I'll stick with 3s..

Remington gave me the same crap about their field models. I shot a early 80's model 1100 for 17 years with the stock barrel plus an aftermarket Rem-choke barrel. Both would cycle 1200 fps 1oz. reloads all day long. They would shoot 1145fps 1oz. loads with maybe one failure every 200-300 shells.

Any, and I mean any, of the cheap 3 1/4dr. 1 or 1 1/8oz. loads would work perfect in at least five other older 1100s that I shot beside on dove fields for years.

I don't know what the deal is with the new guns. The only time I ever heard of a need for larger ports was when you were wanting to shoot 2 3/4dr.eq. one-ounce loads. Remington made their target barrels with larger ports so they would handle really light loads.

Hell, there was even one guy I know that made it through a whole day shooting 1 1/8oz. field loads with the O-ring missing!

Like BerKim said- look up old posts-I did...................and if you take the time to review them, all the answers you need are right here!!!! :P

My scatterblammer specs:

1187 SPS Turkey

21" Vent rib

.113" gas holes (one or two wire gage drill sizes down from 1/8")

easyloader :wacko: (if you play with one.............you'll see)

Rem Gun Club 2 3/4 Dram 1 1/8 oz loads all the time :D

AA 2 3/4 1 oz loads when I clean the gun (good for 100-150 rnds)

FYI------AA's are the softest shooting loads I have tried - Anyone have the same or different experience????

Dave M.

• 2 months later...

Eric W. was right... it's the gas holes.

I did a sponsor deal with them during the first year of that project. I had the same problems you had and more. I did my own changes to the gas holes and put in a longer mag spring. The gun worked 90% but still gave me problems.

I called in my problems and the suggested changes. They changed the mag spring but they were hesitant to make the gas holes bigger. Here's why....

They sell a 1100 SKEET gun... made for light loads and that's it.

They sell turkey guns that are made to shoot HEAVY loads and that's it.

The Competition Master could be fed with full power buck shot or slugs. If they open the gas ports for the light load users, then they've created a gun that won't last or is dangerous for the full power ammo users.

As usual, the engineers wanted to err on the liability issue and stay with the small holes.

So go ahead, open the ports. If you go too big, the gun will just recoil more. If you go really big, you'll end up being kicked hard and MAYBE wear out parts sooner. As long as you stick with light loads, you'll be good.

Bruce Piatt

I don't know what's up with other 1100CM, I never had any of the problems I see in this forum. I got my Competition Master late 2003 and all I ever did to it was 100 rounds of trap shooting to break it in. Clean it after every other use and lube where I think it's suppose to be lubed. I did order the rubber O-rings from Eric, but still use the original one (if it's not broken, don't fix it ;) ). I use the cheapest Federal game loads from Wal-Mart (I think it's $3.27/box now), both the 6 and 7.5 shot, 1 oz. 3.25 DRAM at 1290fps. Did not touch the gas ports and it (knock on wood) never jammed on me. I did see a brand new 1100CM out-the-box used at a match and just had a jam fest.

I did open the ports up slightly. It has worked with everything I have shot through it since then. I mostly fire reduced recoil Slugs from Federal -1oz @1300fps and Federal reduced recoil 8pellet 00Buck at 1290. My shot loads are light with 11/8 at 1150 and they now work fine. I was hesitant to drill the ports, but this is a single use gun and it has worked just fine since then. I did take everyone's advice and use Mobil 1 on the mag tube and bolt, well, pretty much everywhere. Really helps with the quick clean ups. I find that if I shoot 100rds or so and then don't clean it, leave it for a week or so, then shoot again, by the time I get to 100rds, it starts to not feed, which I think is a combination of light mag sping and dirty mag tube. I do a quick wipe down after I shoot it, re oil and its fine. Just my 2cents.

Tom