Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock to Stock 2

Hello, I am a new uspsa shooter but have been doing some steel challenges (currently a C but at 59.89% so B is close!) and defensive pistol classes. Right now I shoot a Glock 34 Gen 5 which is nice but have been eyeballing a Stock 2 pretty hard and figure if that is what I am going to end up in to be competitive at higher levels I might as well get one now. So now I am looking at the setup making sure I have everything planned correctly since it is such a change. My plan is pretty simple but wanted to make sure it made sense. 

This kit seemed like it covered everything

http://benstoegerproshop.com/eaa-tanfoglio-witness-upgrade-kit-springs-guide-rod-firing-pin-sight/

4x additional mags

http://benstoegerproshop.com/eaa-tanfoglio-witness-9mm-17-round-magazine-full-size-large-frame-k9/

Red Hill Holster

https://www.redhilltactical.com/Ready-To-Ship-Competition-Holsters_p_173.html

Should this take care of me for a while? I may look at some home polishing videos but for now shoot the hell out of it and get ready to take another stoeger class maybe in the fall. 

19 minutes ago, chappys4life said:

That will definitely get you started, not sure you need everything in the BSPS kit. The polishing is more important to get done and get done well. Makes a huge difference.

19 minutes ago, chappys4life said:

These are where I got my mags. 

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-witness-large-frame-9mm-17rd-afc-magazine-oe.html#.Ww6xC0gvxaQ

10 bucks cheaper each.

Yes to all. Be prepared to do some work to get everything up and running to your preference but once set up they are pretty easy systems to run. I made the same transition.
You won’t be better because of the gun though. When you have a gun that is more fun to train with you will find yourself training more. That is where the rapid improvement comes from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, kujo929 said:

You won’t be better because of the gun though. When you have a gun that is more fun to train with you will find yourself training more. That is where the rapid improvement comes from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not expecting a huge improvement. It may sound crazy but I like the DA trigger for dry fire lol. Also Im thinking to be a higher tier shooter I will probably end up with a Stock 2 or Shadow 2. So if that is the case might as well start getting adjusted now instead of going down the Glock rabbit hole then having to switch later.

22 minutes ago, colby_attack said:

That will definitely get you started, not sure you need everything in the BSPS kit. The polishing is more important to get done and get done well. Makes a huge difference.

What parts should I not use? Should I buy the parts themselves? Thanks for the mag tip!

You can use everything. I'm just saying you don't need everything. If you've got money to burn, let it burn. You will likely want some stuff like grips and basepads before a lot of the tiny internal stuff.

Out of the box the only thing you really 'need' is a fiber front. 

Watch MemphisMechanic series on youtube about tearing down and polishing everything. He's on here and knows his Tanfo stuff. 

18 minutes ago, colby_attack said:

You can use everything. I'm just saying you don't need everything. If you've got money to burn, let it burn. You will likely want some stuff like grips and basepads before a lot of the tiny internal stuff.

Out of the box the only thing you really 'need' is a fiber front. 

Watch MemphisMechanic series on youtube about tearing down and polishing everything. He's on here and knows his Tanfo stuff. 

Cool thank you!

To be a higher tier shooter? Stick with a Glock and keep practicing. :D :D 

(Limited Nationals was won with a Glock this year.)

My classification percentage has gone up since I ditched my Tanfoglio and went back to polymer for a Walther. 

The gun has nothing to do with the reason why. 

If you switch? Switch to a gun you like shooting and practicing with. And expect some headaches and frustration for a few months; Tanfos don’t run with light triggers right out of the box until you learn to polish the internals right, and how to reload for them.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

To be a higher tier shooter? Stick with a Glock and keep practicing. :D :D 

(Limited Nationals was won with a Glock this year.)

My classification percentage has gone up since I ditched my Tanfoglio and went back to polymer for a Walther. 

The gun has nothing to do with the reason why. 

If you switch? Switch to a gun you like shooting and practicing with. And expect some headaches and frustration for a few months; Tanfos don’t run with light triggers right out of the box until you learn to polish the internals right, and how to reload for them.

BS.  Switch guns and switch guns often I say!

How you gonna know which one you like best if you don't switch to each one, then switch back and forth a dozen times in one year?!

Edited by B_RAD

It may sound crazy but I like the DA trigger for dry fire lol.

You shouldn’t be practicing dry fire and using the DA for every pull. That will hurt your shooting. You only get a realistic pull for the first shot with both the Glock and Tanfo. You have to improvise for the rest.

BS.  Switch guns and switch guns often I say!

How you gonna know which one you like best if you don't switch to each one, then switch back and forth a dozen times in one year?!

One thing is for sure with a new pistol is that you probably won’t have the same issues you had with the old one. You’ll have issues, but different ones.

Listen to Memphis, the pistol is almost irrelevant for 99% of USPSA shooters. You can do very well with whatever you have.

1 hour ago, OdinIII said:

You only get a realistic pull for the first shot with both the Glock and Tanfo. You have to improvise for the rest.

Wrap  the hammer & beavertail 2/3s of the way cocked with tape. It doesn’t have the break, but you can minic the exact travel of your trigger in SA.

I did all my tanfo dryfire that way, except for DA draws from the holster.

1 hour ago, OdinIII said:

Listen to Memphis, the pistol is almost irrelevant for 99% of USPSA shooters. You can do very well with whatever you have.

It’s not important for 100 percent, I’d say.

The first dozen or so years of Production, Glock dominated. Then Ben came along with a Beretta and won, switched to Tanfo, and began crushing souls. Suddenly the polymer guns are a fool’s errand and CZ/Tanfo are “required” to be an M class guy?

Our fastest production M is an 18 year old with a 4” M&P locally. Guys like @wtturn are dominant at the Area match level with stock Glocks. Shane Coley and Bob Vogelbot win nationally with Glocks.

Not because Ben or Coley or Vogel are super humans. They put in the most work.

Whomever practices the best and longest, wins. I’m just some midpack A-class guy, but I know the firearm isn’t secret sauce to counteract that.

I would NOT buy the kit.

Get the patriot defense optimized springs (trigger return, firing pin return, sear). Patriot defense 15.5 and 14 hammer spring.  And their cone fit guide rod.  Get the wolff 8# recoil spring and extra power extractor spring. Send them the barrel to have it reamed to saami specs too.

I don't like the "risk vs reward" of going lower than 14. 15.5# will set off any decently seated primer. 14 and lower will require better and better ammo.  i have used the 10# PD hammer spring and had a 3# 10oz da and was 100% with federal primers. But the 15oz SA was too twitchy. 

Polish per the videos. Install the parts.  shoot it 1000 rounds.  polish it again.

Call it good.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Wrap  the hammer & beavertail 2/3s of the way cocked with tape. It doesn’t have the break, but you can minic the exact travel of your trigger in SA.

I did all my tanfo dryfire that way, except for DA draws from the holster.

Thats what I've been doing. Practice draws and first shot then short stroking for a few minutes.

Then taping it up and dry firing everything else.

33870906_1956648787692231_4744975870282694656_n.jpg

5 hours ago, OdinIII said:

One thing is for sure with a new pistol is that you probably won’t have the same issues you had with the old one. You’ll have issues, but different ones.

Yeah. I was joking. Pick a gun and stick with it. 

if you are just starting out just try a few different guns, you will find what you like.

the glock is an awesome pistol, used one for many years and won lots of local competitions with it, I can say I shoot my Glock just as good as my tanfo however I have a tendency to go back to the Glock now and then, I shoot it for a bit and then I appreciate a good SA trigger a lot more for those 20 m shots.

Glocks are great for and can run very well, however if you like plastic, there are better triggers out there.

I am curious about the arsenal fire arms strike one, they are releasing a new pistol soon that might be the holly grail of polymer guns.

At any rate, I still like my tanfo for competing in production more: better ergos, better trigger, better magazine release, more accurate and easy to shoot.

If I had to go to war though, I am not taking the tanfo... :)