Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Class with same division shooter? Or doesn’t matter?

CTJer

So I’m looking to take a class and I’m wondering if it makes much of a difference to take one with an Instructor who also shoots Production, or does that really not matter?

I’m sure some classes are more geared towards certain things, but in general what is the thought on this.  

If you're a Master classified shooter and looking to make incremental gains to improve your performance from 93% up to 96%, then yeah, it makes sense to train with a GM who also shoots your division and can fine tune the most minuscule facets of your game because of their innate understanding of the division. But even that's a stretch. In other words, fundamentals are fundamentals - those need to be elevated before you start worrying about minutiae.

If you're a C class or B class shooter, then any good coach could help you make huge gains in a short training period, especially if you've never had formal coaching before.  It's a lot easier to jump from 40% to 70% than from 93% to 96%, even though the "easier" jump is 10 times larger.

Edited by ClangClang

Most all the classes I have taken have been geared toward either Limited or CO. My last class was a movement class, and the instructor did ask if anyone was shooting production (no one was) so that he could incorporate re-loads into the movement instruction. Like Clang says, there's a lot of ground to cover in fundamentals that are not effected by division.

That being said, if a revolver GM held a class in our neck of the woods, I'd be there in a heart beat.

41 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Took a course ten years ago with Max Michel and Travis Tomasie - they both

shot Limited, and I shot OPEN.

I learned a LOT - but I was a C at that point - they got me to a B very quickly  :) 

Jack, they didn't get you there, you got yourself there...unless they were shooting for you. They may have shown you the path, but it was you that had to do the work.