Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chest Rig?

vladtepes

So just curious.. I have yet to shoot a match so I have no real experience to go off.. 

But I have shot from a Tactical Tailor chest rig for a long time.... and am used to this setup... holds the weigh up nice.. keeps everything in place.. why does NO ONE shoot competition with a chest rig like this? every image.. video.. etc.. that I see people are running all their gear on a belt.. 

what am I missing? there must be some reason for this I am just not aware of due to my lack of experience?

(keep in mind I am talking a purpose setup rig with just a couple of pistol and rifle mags.. and maybe like 16 shotgun shells on something like an Invictus..) 

thanks 

You are missing the rules.

The handgun must be in a holster that is supported by a belt that goes through the belt loops of your pants. There's some more detail, but that is one way to look at it.

11 minutes ago, vladtepes said:

I think I may not have been clear... 

I am talking 3gun and talking ammo not the firearm.. LOL Handgun in holster on belt like normal... 

Lots of people use chest rigs in 3 gun, but it can be uncomfortable for some people. Chest rigs also interfere with prone position. People tend to use chest rigs on larger shotshell stages.

5 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Lots of people use chest rigs in 3 gun, but it can be uncomfortable for some people. Chest rigs also interfere with prone position. People tend to use chest rigs on larger shotshell stages.

I could also see where caddies on the belt would interfere with prone.  

No one uses a chest rig because it's painfully slow to reload from as compared to reloading off a belt, and in this sport, fractions of a second win matches.

The one time I do use a chest rig (Spiritus, specifically) are for Run N Gun matches where I need to carry 170+ rounds to get through all 5-7 stages. I have 1 AR and 1-2 pistol mags on my belt, and carry another 3 AR mags and 2-3 pistol mags on my chest.  In between stages, I shuffle mags around to keep my belt fully stocked and get my empty mags moved on my chest. It's also far more comfortable to have the weight on your chest instead of a belt.... running 5+ miles with 5 mags on your belt just leads to wickedly bruised hips.

Edited by ClangClang

1 hour ago, ClangClang said:

No one uses a chest rig because it's painfully slow to reload from as compared to reloading off a belt, and in this sport, fractions of a second win matches.

The one time I do use a chest rig (Spiritus, specifically) are for Run N Gun matches where I need to carry 170+ rounds to get through all 5-7 stages. I have 1 AR and 1-2 pistol mags on my belt, and carry another 3 AR mags and 2-3 pistol mags on my chest.  In between stages, I shuffle mags around to keep my belt fully stocked and get my empty mags moved on my chest. It's also far more comfortable to have the weight on your chest instead of a belt.... running 5+ miles with 5 mags on your belt just leads to wickedly bruised hips.

Keith Garcia uses a modified weight belt with Safariland shell caddies as a chest rig.  I've not seen anybody reload the shotgun faster than him......

1 minute ago, RangerTrace said:

Keith Garcia uses a modified weight belt with Safariland shell caddies as a chest rig.  I've not seen anybody reload the shotgun faster than him......

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I was specifically referring to pistol and rifle mags, which is what OP was asking about.

I use a Carbon arms backbone (24 rounds) of shotgun on a chest rig for shotgun only matches when I need to carry 40+ shotgun rounds for very large shotgun stages.  Otherwise, I run 2 invictus practical 8up carriers.  

9 hours ago, ClangClang said:

Sorry I wasn't clearer. I was specifically referring to pistol and rifle mags, which is what OP was asking about.

Yup. It's way too close to your shoulder which makes your arms tight and slow. I imagine indexing to find your mags is difficult as well. Real estate would likely be limited too since the mags would have to be horizontal or close to horizontal forcing you do mount them vertically. Rifle mags would take up like 1/4 of your chest.

• 4 weeks later...

after messing with this for some days.. I hate to admit it.. but a belt might be a better choice.. 
its so counter intuitive to me.. because I am so used to shooting from a chest rig with mags centered.. 

the problem.. the shotshells.. reloading pistol and rifle from chest is VERY fast for me.. but when it comes to shotshells.. no way.. when I rotate the gun exactly what everyone said would happen happens.. my arms are very compressed.. and the shells almost get in the way of the gun.. so I am considering going to the safari land ELS belt.. 

• 1 month later...