Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Post upgrade x5 Disconnect wear

Daemunx1

Getting a lot of wear from the disconnect that goes up into the disconnect notch (post factory upgrade) sliding into the hole for the sight plate just forward of the notch. Posted a similar pic of this elsewhere but this one shows much more clearly the amount of wear I’m getting. Its getting heavy enough that I’m actually concerned now that over time it may cause functionality issues. If it gets grooved out deep enough the slide may start to hang up on it. Just curious if anyone else with 1k plus rounds is seeing the same thing. 

21E2D8F4-C52F-403B-BBFD-A8DD4DA83D5A.jpeg

I have an X5 with approximately 2,000 rounds through it. It came from the factory with the upgrade.

I can see a hint of silver showing through the black finish at that location.

However I don't see anything close to what appears to be going on with your gun.

I've got a newer X5 that came upgraded already, mine doesn't show that kind of wear at all. Have had mine about 6 weeks, I'm sure I've got at least 1,000 rounds through it. 

• 1 month later...

You can see how the disconnect tracks far enough towards the centerline that it prevents it from dipping into the hole. Where as mine tracks straight into the hole. Just bad luck on the tolerances I think. I’ve been thinking about sending a pic to a sig service rep. Even if the disconnect riser was just a touch wider it wouldnt be an issue. 

Edited by Daemunx1

• 2 weeks later...

Some ideas that may help:

1) Did you note if the top of the hole was like that before putting 1,000+ rounds through it?  Asking in case the slide had a boo boo created (that hole with a non-square corner) during the slide's manufacturing or upgrade work. 

2) Is the crest of the disconnector worn in a corresponding manner?

3) I would contact Sig for a technical analysis and, hopefully, correction. 

4) In the interim, put some heavy grease (for example, Lucas vs EWG) on the tip of the diconnector and on the slide where the witness marks indicate the crest of the disco is tracking. That may slow down additional wear. 

Wasnt like that when new. It continues to wear. The disconnect doesnt show any considerable wear. I assume its either a harder material or its just the way they are making contact. Havent had any upgrade work. Its post upgrade production. Will contact sig next month if I get a chance and see what they say. 

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed my X5 is showing similar wear near the hole with less than 1k rounds through it. I'll keep an eye on it and report any issues. It'll likely wear to a point and then stop like AR receivers or Glock slides. 

On 5/22/2018 at 1:27 PM, Daemunx1 said:

Getting a lot of wear from the disconnect that goes up into the disconnect notch (post factory upgrade) sliding into the hole for the sight plate just forward of the notch. Posted a similar pic of this elsewhere but this one shows much more clearly the amount of wear I’m getting. Its getting heavy enough that I’m actually concerned now that over time it may cause functionality issues. If it gets grooved out deep enough the slide may start to hang up on it. Just curious if anyone else with 1k plus rounds is seeing the same thing. 

21E2D8F4-C52F-403B-BBFD-A8DD4DA83D5A.jpeg

I have the exact same point of wear as shown in the picture in my X5. I have about 3.5k rounds since upgrade. I also have a pronounced "silver" track along the slide from the disconnect divot forward.

In cleaning, I lay a track of Lucas Grease along that track and a dab in the divot.

I have occasionally had the slide fail to return to battery by about ⅛". To be clear, I don't know for sure that the Puppet Head is hanging up in the worn screw hole as shown in the picture, but I suspect it is.

As a note: I "stole" your picture and posted the same question on SIGTALK to see if anyone there has seen this type of wear.

Edited by Jet1945

Interesting, my slide if I cycle by hand does the same often where it hangs slightly 1/8" from closed. However upon some thought and measuring I don't think this is due to the dis-connector hanging at the hole. It's about 1/4" from it's resting spot. Easy enough to test next time I have the trigger parts out of the housing. 

So I cleaned the gun today. I did a test, I put the slide on the gun then took the back plate off to reduce striker and extractor tension. The slide gets a smidge tight right as it locks-up, as I'd expect from a well fitted barrel. Good stuff. Put the striker and extractor back normal and it's the additional weight of the striker spring adding to the tension that causes the slide to hand slightly out of battery, 1/8" when cycling slowly by hand. 

Good oil and grease and the wear on the hole above the disconnector doesn't seem to get any worse. 

My still outstanding issue is brass hitting the optic. I'm using a 14lb wolf spring and a springer steel guide rod. I have 2 12.5lb springs and they feel a lot to soft but haven't shot it with those springs. I'm tempted to try the Lone wolf billet extractor to see if that solves the issue. 

I have the ISMI 12.5# recoil spring on a Springer steel guide rod in my X5. It does stand out of battery an 1/8" when hand cycling slowly, but never when shooting. My Romeo does not get brass hits.