Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SLR Gas Block Issue

joelogic

I upgraded/reassembled some race uppers and now even with full gas I cant get the bolt to lock back with my 55gr reload blaster ammo.  77gr reloads lock bolt with tuned gas no problem.

1. 18" rifle length, Tank brake, SLR gb, JP low mass bolt, JP scs.  Upgraded from JP tac brake and JP gas block.  Worked fine in old config.

2. 16" Mid length, Surefire brake, SLR gb, Whiskey Arms Aluminum carrier, Shooting innovation buffer system.  New build. Full gas 55gr does not lock back.  Tuned gas 77gr locks fine.

3. 14.5" carbine length, integral comp, SLR gb, JP low mass carrier, Kobalt buffer.  Locks back fine with 55gr and tuned gas.

Anyone else have a similar issue?  or fix?

TIA

Sounds like you might be closing in on an ammo-related issue, but in case that proves to be a dead end, I'd recommend talking to SLR directly. I've done that before, and they're INCREDIBLY responsive.

(This is going to sound like a shill post, so I'll clarify up-front that I am in no way affiliated with SLR. Don't work for them, don't know anyone who works for them, I don't shoot nearly well enough for sponsorship or potential sponsorship to be an issue, and none of that is going to change anytime soon).

I had an SLR gas block seize up on a .300 BLK SBR upper. I'd tried a bunch of things to loosen it up (soaking in solvents, etc.), and finally just dropped them a line on the automated contact form on their website asking for other recommendations. Not requesting an exchange or claiming the product was faulty, just listing what I'd done and asking if they could think of any other way to free up the adjustment screw. This was on a holiday weekend, and I wasn't even really expecting a response. Not only did I get an email response in a matter of hours, they offered to exchange it for a new gas block, and before I could even respond to that offer via email, I had a tracking number for a replacement (they'd pulled my shipping address from when I'd ordered the stuck one from them originally), and I had a new gas block in my hands like 3 days after that.

Again, not trying to sound like a shill, but I think it's worth recognizing outstanding customer service when you see it, and make sure that other folks know about it when it could be useful to them.

Pirate, 23ish as well.  I'll have to go look.  I am sure my reloads are a little underpowered but my ammo is the same as I was using before with the JP adjustable gas blocks.  Granted I switched several parts so I am definitely not blaming the gas block.  

Steve133, thanks.  I will shoot them an email. 

I'm running SLR gas blocks on a couple rifles.  One is a 16.5" rifle length gas barrel with JP SCS and lightweight BCG, and I have the gas block open just a couple clicks.  It runs everything including PMC 55g.  

I would recommend removing the gas block, inspecting it for anything unusual, and reinstall being very careful to align properly with gas port.I

I agree with Steve133, SLR gas some of the best customer service in the business. 

27 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

I'm running SLR gas blocks on a couple rifles.  One is a 16.5" rifle length gas barrel with JP SCS and lightweight BCG, and I have the gas block open just a couple clicks.  It runs everything including PMC 55g.  

I would recommend removing the gas block, inspecting it for anything unusual, and reinstall being very careful to align properly with gas port.I

I agree with Steve133, SLR gas some of the best customer service in the business. 

I'd go with above. I had issues with my SLR gas block with gas full open on factory ammo, lubed the crap out of my bolt and then it was good to go. I shot maybe 60 rds of ammo before the bolt was cycling properly.

Have you tried factory ammo?

Edited by SlvrDragon50

2 hours ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

I'd go with above. I had issues with my SLR gas block with gas full open on factory ammo, lubed the crap out of my bolt and then it was good to go. I shot maybe 60 rds of ammo before the bolt was cycling properly.

Have you tried factory ammo?

Factory ammo?  Who can afford that?  lol.

No I haven't.  

I have the blocks a few clicks open too.  Runs fine just doesn't lock back on an empty mag.

I'll pull the gas blocks and take a look.

Update:  On the 16" upper I swapped out the Aluminum carrier and the shooting innovations buffer for a JP LMOS carrier and SCS and the carrier will lock back with 55gr 5 clicks out.  Must have just been the combination of parts.  SI buffer over sprung...AL carrier too light... Dunno but its not the gas blocks fault.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Glad you found out the issue, or issues. I have six different ARs with SLR gas blocks and they all seem to be very consistent with detent positions and have been very reliable. Two of the ARs are AR10s. I have been very impressed with them.