Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 Grips

jmaples71

Any idea what Lok means by " Cut Short Length for Magwell?"

I'm going to call on Monday to see if I can find out.

Pretty certain I'm going to order the Zombie Green ?

It means he’s going to cut the length of the grips short to compensate for the magwell. 

For example, if the full size grips are normally 5” and the magwell is 3/4”, then he’s going to cut the full size grip to 4 3/4” to compensate for the 3/4” length of the magwell.

I’ve tried VZ thin diamondbacks, Scales 2.0, Lok Thin Bogies, CZ Thin Lemon Graters, Rubber SP-01 grips, and Lok S2-specific Bogies. 

I settled on a pair of S2-specific Palm Swell Grips in Jayson’s Roughneck texture. Great grips and very aggressive. 

If someone made grips with the profile of the Scales and the texture of the Roughnecks or Diamondbacks, they would be perfect. 

I’ve been super happy with the Henning full checker grips. Have them on both my Shadow2s. Yes they’re spendy but the texture is just perfect and the grip profile fits my medium sized hands SO well.

I tried the VZ checkered and grenade pattern, and also the Loc palm swell.   Keep in mind I don't have medium hands, and I tend to evaluate a grip by how well the gun resists upwards tilting simulating recoil jump.   Of those 3 and the factory grips the VZ checkered were the best, the Loc's were grippy but due to the palm swell I didn't feel I got as much surface contact with my support hand to resist the upward motion.   The Grenade pattern were just bad, they were comfy but didn't resist that upward tilt any better than the factory grips which look great, but are functionally horrible. 

People downplay the simple checkered pattern these days because it was never very grippy when done on wood grips, but it can be made very sharp/grippy with G10 and I've found overall they tend to keep the gun in place for me and my grip better than 95% of the fancy "aggressive super grip" patterns they do now, but also tends to snag and catch on things less.

The one thing I didn't like about the VZ grips, is the factory grips use a countersunk screw so the grips have an angled screw recess.   The VZ and Loc grips are setup for a flat bottom screw, Loc includes these screws, VZ does not.  To me if they won't work with the factory screws, they should include ones that do.  Using a countersunk screw on a flat recess could crack a G10 grip, or bust out the screw recess.