Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Begining Reloader- Help Needed

Last year I bought a Dillon RL550B press with the intention of starting to reload with a friend of mine (who just got me in to shooting and who has been reloading for a few years.) However before I even had a chance to unpack and use it I ended up having to move to Texas.

So I have had this beautiful machine setting in the box... I know it is sacrilege so please don't flame me too bad..

So I really want to learn how to reload but all the people I talk to say I should start with a single stage press until I understand the principals before going on to the 550. This makes sense to me but I was wondering if anyone else started straight off with the progressives...

I am just looking for advice from the cagey veterans out there and some recommendations. While I am excited about using the 550 I want to make sure that I am safe too...

Thanks in advance!

My first (and only) press is a RL550B. I've had it less than a year. The only bad thing I've had happen was one squib load.

Before I setup and used my press I made sure to talk to a couple good shooting buddies of mine about reloading, people who have done it for awhile, to get their advice. One of the has a 550 and I had him show me in detail how everything works.

Then I watched the Dillon 550 video. Then I slowly setup the press following the directions provided with it.

Once you get it physically setup then start with the minimum load in your favorite loading manual, make sure when adjusting the dies that you have a piece of brass in each station. When adjusting powder throw don't measure individual charges, just throw 10 in the pan in average them out, and adjust based on that.

Once you have everything setup start loading, slowly, especially pay attention to looking into each case before you put a bullet on it to make sure it has powder. Just start slowly and you'll quickly work into a decent pace, just stay with what your comfortable with.

I also highly recommend the strong mount and bullet tray. If you have other questions feel free to PM me.

First press was a dillion Progressive. I think that some that recomend a single stage are those that have never had anything but a single stage and are jealeous that you are starting off with such a nice press instead of putting your time in on a less efficient press then buy a nicer one. The progressive is where you want to end up so start there to begin with.

As RTR mentioned, get the video. Also buy a good reloading manual and read it before you start. When I say manual, I'm not talking about a manufacturers paphlet that they give away for free, but a real - hardback book with tons of data. Sierra, Speer and Hornady come to mind at first and have wonderful sections with great info that is useful. Good luck and if you have a specific question post here and someone will give you a hand.

Get that machine out of the box!

Rick

Once you've seen the video and have obtained a reloading manual you will find it's not that hard. Start with a load in the middle. Never start at the top of the chart.

As others have said, go slow, watch what your doing, and no TV while you load. Have fun saving money. Actually, you wont save a dime because you'll be shooting so much more! B)

My wife and I started on the 550...

don't worry as if you can just use each stage at a time. When we started we measured each powder charge for a while and have worked our way up.

If you go *slow* I see no problems with it. I am still going slow but I would rather that then a) blow up a gun or B) have a squib.

Ira

My first press was a SDB. Now I have a 650. (Tried single stage... they suck)

Most important thing "Attention to detail"...

(Watch the video, read the manual, go slow, and pay attention to what you are doing.)

That "start with a single stage" stuff is a like saying you have to start driving a car with a manual transmission, no power steering, and no pwr brakes. You'll certianly get a better understanding of the principles.

I think one of the other guys said it - you can put just one die in the 550 and use it like a single stage. It is probably a pretty good idea to load about 100 rounds this way - watching what each die does to the case. However, after that first 100, you'll likely never do it again.

One thing I think newbies struggle with is the combo seater/crimp die. Adjusting one of these is a real PIA. If you haven't bought dies yet, get a set of dillon dies. The seater & crimper are separate, and much easier to setup. Also the wider mouth makes them a little smoother.

I don't think starting with a single stage has anything to do with jelousy. Starting with a single stage would force you to understand each step of the reloading process and the function of each die in the set.

With some common sense, you can do the same thing with the 550, just work with one case at a time until you are comfortable then start loading prorgressively (several cases at once in the shellplate).

I don't think starting with a single stage has anything to do with jelousy.  Starting with a single stage would force you to understand each step of the reloading process and the function of each die in the set. 

I think the point is "how long does that take?" In my case it was about 5 minutes. After that, it's all about cranking out ammo for me. I could care less about neck-sizing-only or bullet concentricity or the difference between roll and taper crimping and what all (although I know all those now), I wanted pistol ammo and lots of it. Anybody with the same mentality would do fine to not waste time screwing dies in and out of a cheap single-stage but instead start with a progressive press and cycle cases through one at a time until they've got the hang of it. If, on the other hand, somebody wants to care about reloading in and of itself, like those guys in the NRA magazine, carefully hand-polishing each finished round with a soft cloth, then by all means dive on into a single-stage.

This one squishes the case back down to size. This part pops out the old primer. This part puts a new primer in. This dumps powder in. This one puts the bullet on. This one crimps it in.

Shred, thank you for quoting only the first part of my response and then jumping on it. What problem do you have with the second part that you left out? I can see you're a little touchy about the situation, but I did not recommend for or against starting with a progressive press. IMO what press to start with depends on the attitude/maturity of the person. Here's the rest:

With some common sense, you can do the same thing with the 550, just work with one case at a time until you are comfortable then start loading prorgressively (several cases at once in the shellplate).

before you start , PLEASE buy and READ a reloading manual - any reloading manual. I really like the Sierra one but Hornady and Speer are both good ones too.

it will become a very good reference manual as time goes on.

FWIW, I do not think I'd ever want to load pistol ammo on a single stage press.

before you start , PLEASE buy and READ a reloading manual - any reloading manual. I really like the Sierra one but Hornady and Speer are both good ones too.

it will become a very good reference manual as time goes on.

FWIW, I do not think I'd ever want to load pistol ammo on a single stage press.

I have already purchased and read the Hornaday Manual and the Speer Manual and I have also gotten a couple of the books on reloading. One by Ken Ramage and another one on Metallic Shell Reloading (I forgot who wrote it).

Now I am trying to finish my bench to install the press on and acquire the miscellaneous tools that I still need.

What is a single stage press? How does one look like? ;)

Seriously, I just started reloading recently and my first press was a SDB. After reading the machine and reloading manuals and talking to the folks that have been doing it for some time, I felt what I was doing was safe. Just start slow and pay attention to what you and the machine are doing. You'll quickly get comfortable with it.

Good luck!

Don't panic. It's not really rocket science. Pick a caliber, bullet, powder, and primer. Go to the book and find the load you want to use. Make sure your resize die is adjusted properly. Then check, and double check your powder drop. Load some rounds and take them to the range. If there's a problem take it home, sit down and figure it out. Bring them here to the forum. These guys have accumulated hundreds of years of experence.

I started with a SDB and quickly moved to a 650 to pump 'em out faster.

I really thought I knew what I was doing, and I never had a 'bad' round ;-).

Well, I gave it away for a few years and when I (recently) went back to it, I dragged the press out of cobwebs and decided to just check everything from scratch.

What an eye opener ! Though I wasn't all that far off (really), I'd be embarassed today to call them my reloads. Nothing to do with the style of press, just the way I'd set it up (over flared, under seated, over crimped etc etc)

Things we learn, heh.

As far as the press debate goes, I can't see any advantage to starting with a single stage press, as long as you're careful and think about what you're doing.

just my .02

gulf

The 550 was a good choice. Oh, and BTW, I've got a single single station press sitting someplace around here that I started with. Sorry I spent the money. Dillon is the way to go.

• 3 weeks later...
Last year I bought a Dillon RL550B press with the intention of starting to reload with a friend of mine (who just got me in to shooting and who has been reloading for a few years.) However before I even had a chance to unpack and use it I ended up having to move to Texas.

So I have had this beautiful machine setting in the box... I know it is sacrilege so please don't flame me too bad..

So I really want to learn how to reload but all the people I talk to say I should start with a single stage press until I understand the principals before going on to the 550. This makes sense to me but I was wondering if anyone else started straight off with the progressives...

I am just looking for advice from the cagey veterans out there and some recommendations. While I am excited about using the 550 I want to make sure that I am safe too...

Thanks in advance!

I have a 550 press and think it's great. I started with a single stage and moved up. Now that I have the 550 I sometime us it as a single, double or thriple stage press. While trying new powers in a few loads I bypass the powder in the horn and hand measure. If I want to deprime my cases before tumbling I can do that as a single stage. I'd start releading slowling and get to know all the things you can do with you 550. Good luck, have fun, be safe. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

I started with a Dillon 550B. Read and understand the operating manual, familiarize yourself with every part of the press and know what it does and how it operates. Ask questions here, call Dillon if you have to, they will walk you through it if need be.

Once you learn to use the press and become familiar with a couple of quirks you will love it.

BE ABSOLUTELY SURE TO LOOK AT THE POWDER DROP IN EVERY ROUND BEFORE TOPPING IT WITH A BULLET.

Load in small batches. Trust your gut instinct. If you think you f*#ked something up you most likely did and don't be afraid to pull the ammo and disassemble it. You can always reassemble it.

I once pulled about 3000 rds of .308 because I had inadvertanly mixed two very similar powders and was unsure if any of them had been placed in with others that were already in ammo cans. I discovered the mistake at the cost of an M1A. Luckily it was not my life or limb.

Don't second guess.....pull the ammo, dump it and check it.

Like you, I'd never reloaded until recently. I started shooting USPSA in February, and talked to some of the shooters and bought a 550. I have had a few problems which I've worked out.

I made the mistake of shooting my reloads in two matches before getting quality under control. In the first 1,000 rounds or so I had between 5 and 10 squibs. Two were in matches. I believe they were all "no powder" squibs, so the bullet stopped just a little way down the barrel and prevented the next round from seating fully. Use your reloads as practice ammo until you're sure they'll be reliable. A box of factory ammo is cheap compared to the alternative.

I also had a few double charges, but I caught them right away.

I've also had a few problems with the equipment, mostly with the primer feed mechanism. PM me if you want more details.

I started with a Dillon 550 about 4 months ago, no previous reloading experience.

I watched the Dillon video several times and read the owner's manual several times back to front.

Bought the Speer reloading manual.

Started using the press very slowly, almost like a single stage until I was able to get used to the press and the fact I was actually reloading ammunition.

Best part was taking the reloads out to the range and actually shooting the rounds, damn if they didn't work. I'm still learning but enjoying the process.

Enjoy and just take your time, it's worth the effort.

I would go progressive even though I do not have one. I have loaded pistol ammo on a single stage. IT SUCKS. First you have to spend time popping out all of the primers and resizing the brass. It takes forever. THen you have to take all of your brass and go hand prime them which takes forever. Then you go back and have to measure each powder load and put them in a tray which takes forever. Then you have to seat each bullet. It could take hours just to load 200 rounds. You will start to get tired and neck cramps and back cramps. You could could load 500 rounds on a progressive in the time that it takes you to deprime and resize 300 pieces of brass on a single stage.

I started reloading just a few months ago. I had the Speer manual

for over a year and had studied it pretty intensely. And I had some

reloading gear in my shed -- a single stage Forster Bonanza, given

to me by a friend (he did a barter job for it, then his wife got to asking

about all that junk in the closet and it became mine). I went slow and

figured out how to use the Forster, but it was quite a chore for me

to load just 40 rounds in an evening. The first thing I did buy was a

dillon tumbler (vibrator/brass-cleaner) and I recommend this to you

also. Then I bought the Dillon 550B and haven't looked back. I still

only load 100 rounds in an evening, but that takes maybe an hour for

me. My advice on the single stage thing is to just run one piece of

brass through the 550 at a time till you are sure of everything, then go on to

"progressive mode" with it. Since the 550 is "user indexed" you can just

use it as a single stage press if you want to. My other tip is that if

something goes wrong (for me it is always seating primers), that is

the time to watch out -- crank that handle twice with something in

station 2 and you have a double charge -- I have almost made it

a practice to pull and dump whatever is on station 2 whenever something

goes sour till I get things straightened out. But I am no veteran, just

a beginner trying to stay out of trouble.