Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge vs Marauder

Tubadude

I'm currently looking for a metal framed handgun to become my primary pistol for 3 gun and steel challenge to replace my G34.  I was initially set on a Shadow 2, but then I ran my 1911 last weekend in a heavy metal match and remembered how much I love the platform, so now I'm looking at 2011s. 

The two I'm mainly looking at are the STI Edge (I would probably get a Dawson CRP version) and the STI Marauder.  I was also looking at the Hawk, but I feel like the savings would be lost once I got it how I wanted it.  Is one going to be better than the other for 3 gun?

they're pretty much the same.  edge has bull barrel and full dust cover, marauder has a bushing barrel and has a rail if you ever want to add a light for home use or a night match.  hit a 3 gun and/or uspsa match and you should be able to find a few folks with these that will let you play with them a little.

where in wva are you?  if you are near peacemaker i can bring my edge and eagle (real similar to marauder but no light rail) for you to check out at one of their matches.

I have an Edge (.40) and Marauder (9mm). The Edge is a good USPSA Limited gun. I use the Marauder for IDPA and 3-Gun, but have been shooting mostly USPSA lately. The Marauder in 9mm would be my choice for 3-Gun. Ammo costs less . . .

10 hours ago, Woodsk said:

I shoot a Marauder in 3-gun. it is a great gun very accurate. but if I was to buy one today it would be a Warwick Tactical. you get a lot more for your money

I'll have to check them out some time when I am visiting my parents who live in that area.  They're more expensive than what I'm currently looking at, though. 

Edited by Tubadude

Around here night matches are kind of a thing for 3 gun. I found a deal on a SHOT show special 2011 that I couldn’t pass. Biggest issue, no light rail. If I had to do it over again, I would go for a railed setup hands down.

• 2 months later...

I run a CRP Edge for 3 Gun personally prefer it over the non bull barrel STI like the looks of the DVC 3 Gun and Murader better but for me the EDGe is the clear winner for 3 Gun I also run a DVC Limited and DVC  O-en for USPSA 

• 6 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 8:36 PM, Bigzeke said:

Around here night matches are kind of a thing for 3 gun. I found a deal on a SHOT show special 2011 that I couldn’t pass. Biggest issue, no light rail. If I had to do it over again, I would go for a railed setup hands down.

If you have a hsort wide dust cover you can cut a rail sectioninto to mount a light. Did it on mine 7 years ago when rails were not as readily available.