Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which S1050 Sheellplate? TNT or Fast&Friendly

Looking to upgrade the stock shellplate due to 223 case wobble

Using with Ammobot.

Any direction based on experience?

TNT-

-CNC machining our shellplates from A-2 tool steel.
-Lowering the shellplate pockets. This greatly reduces casing wobble and helps with casing insertion into the shellplate.
-Heat treating and annealing the shellplate while flat.

Fast & Friendly-

S-7 tool steel and are then through hardened, not case hardened.  The pocket dimensions and location are different from the stock Dillon plate, allowing better adjustment, reliable feeding, and less flexing of the shell plate.

I have two of the F&FB plates - 9mm on a Mk7 automated press and .223/.300 on a manual press. Not familiar with the TNT plates either. The F&FB owner has a rather unique bedside manner, but he makes a darn good product.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has used both to see if the TNT tolerances are as tight.

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:47 AM, oteroman said:

Looking to upgrade the stock shellplate due to 223 case wobble

Using with Ammobot.

Any direction based on experience?

What did you end up going with and why? 

TIA!

• 4 months later...

I replaced all my 1050 shellplates with FFB.  My IMI match 308 brass doesn't fit the 308 shellplate properly and 90% of the cases that get fed into it catch at an angle and jam up the press.  LC brass is ok, but it really is a tighter pocket to combat tilting.  (I think the rims on the cases are machined a bit differently on the IMI). The shellplates seem well made but the attitude of the person I dealt with made sure those shellplates would be the last I ever buy.  I was overseas when I placed the order and since I wasn't home, and they shipped signature required, they got sent back.

When I requested they be resent, and I would pay the shipping again, I got a condescending email back about making sure I was home when ordering stuff and a rant about something or other as if I was asking them to give me free stuff.

Just a really bad attitude and my order wasn't small either.  Got a bunch of other upgrades as well.

I had frustrations dealing with him as well on his 9mm shell plate. The issue was jams at the exit station. I toyed with bending the pawl a tad with some success. But my Stock Dillon shell plate worked perfect so I request my money back. It was not simple to get a return. I ordered it to process brass faster (Ammobot 1050).
A few months later I see he issued a recall on some shell plates due to improper machining. I tried to explain my issue calmly with him to solve my issue before I decided return it. IMO he was difficult. Apparently others brought the issue to him??
Some might say poor QC/testing before shipping a product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, oteroman said:

The issue was jams at the exit station. I toyed with bending the pawl a tad with some success. 

I had this issue within 3 months of getting my 1050.  9mm, 40 S&W, 45 ACP and especially 38 Special and this was my cure.

OXB8CMd.jpg

Nice!
That larger surface against the shell looks interesting.
A 1050 can run fine, but automate it and that is when it needs everything adjusted as well as possible.

If you have an ammotbot then you must be familiar with ImmortoArms. They sell the TNT plates and recommend them. Personally I have the FFB and did not know about the TNT ones. I haven't broken a Dillon one yet, but probably will as I process brass on the new CP 2000. I will replace them with a TNT one next.

I bought the steel tool head they sell for the “extra” station.
They didn’t sell a shellplate that I was aware of when I got mine.

20 hours ago, oteroman said:

Nice!
That larger surface against the shell looks interesting.
A 1050 can run fine, but automate it and that is when it needs everything adjusted as well as possible.

The larger surface prevents the case from tipping sideways and jambing in the shellplate, which is the cause with the stock unit.