Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100

Dan Bone

My 1100 came apart while cleaning last night. There's this rail piece, I guess it's the "Feed Latch," staked in to the left side of the receiver. It's kind of bent and doesn't want to stay in place and it hangs up the bolt carrier sometimes when I cycle it. So obviously I need to replace it.

But how do I stake it into the receiver? Take it to a gunsmith?

The long spring shell stop is one of the aggravations of the Remington 1100.  Brownells makes a couple of tools to re-stake it.

If you're going to use an 1100 for competition, one of these is a must-have tool.

In use, press the shell stop back in place, then re-stake it with the tool.  Shell stops that have fallen out are best reinstalled with a helper.  Place the stripped receiver on a solid, padded bench (a section of carpeting will do) to stake.

You can't do anything more secure.  I once (ONCE!) drilled and tapped an 1100 and its shell stop.  The shell stop is harder than sin, and I wore out two Ti coated drills and broke three taps.  (Hey, once I started I wasn't going to stop, but having done it, I'll never do it again.)

BE: Doh!

PS: Ah yes, I see the $30 tool (for the $15 part). Thanks. Wish I had posted before I ordered the part... more shipping charges to Brownells.

Since you seem knowledgeable of the 1100, what might you suggest for removing the politically correct magazine tube indents on a new gun? I'm thinking I need to bring it to the 3 gun nationals as a spare for my quarter-century-old gun. Maybe it's a third of a century now, it's starting to fall apart.

Erik,

edit:  This post is for the tube detents.  Make sure to ckeck my post below for some clarity on what I am talking about.

A proper sized wood (the kind that are flat) bit in a variable speed drill will do the trick.  I was surprised.  Whaps 'um right out.  It has works for at least five guns that I know of.  Then some grinding with a dremel to smooth everything out.

Brownells make a tool.  I think it was $40 though.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 5:39 pm on Oct. 30, 2001)

I should add some more to my post.

We use a flat, wood drill bit that is nearly the size of the inside diameter of the tube.  We slip it past the nubs, coming from the muzzle end, then start the drill up.  (Make absolutely sure you have your shotgun mounted solid in a vise...and maybe have someone hold on to it.)

Pull the drill back towards you (and hold tight).  As the bit engages the nubs, it whaps them out.  It is kinda like hammering them out from the inside.  That will take care of the majority of the work.  Then smooth everything out with the Dremel and some grinding stones.  Polish and then make sure to get all the metal shavings cleaned out of the tube (and the receiver...if you didn't plug some cloth in the bottom of the tube).

I found a short section of heavy tubing that just fit over the outside of the mag tube.  That kept the tube from being distorted, while I pounded the dents out with my homemade supersize sight staking tool.

The wood drill thing scares me.  I have been smacked too many times when the bit grabbed and spun the workpiece, or the drill.

• 11 months later...

I've got a Rem 1100 used for 3 gun matches. It's become my next project to upgrade and I do NOT like the barrel length. That thing is way too long. I want it to be 22 in. What are my options? Buy a shorter barrel? From who? Cut it off? What about rethreading for chokes? Who's is best for that type of work? Do I need to enlarge the gas holes after shortening?

I purchased a RemChoked 21" rifle-sighted deer barrel from Cabelas, which has a really good price. (Unless you can get a dealer discount from Brownells or somewhere.) With a Briley extended choke it's about flush with the Choate 8+1 magazine tube. My only complaint is that I would prefer a vent rib and beads for the steel and clay shooting (though it may suck on long slug shots).

You can have Briley or somebody cut your barrel (somewhere in a vent post) and thread it for chokes. Threading it isn't cheap, but there are less expensive shotgun smiths out there. I dunno about the ports.

An 1187 special purpose vent rib 21inch barrel with Rem chokes would be my choice.  They dont have the extra gas ports nor pressure control ring, and fit on 1100's. You usually have to open the ports a couple of numbered drill sizes to make them work with light loads...regards Les

CDNN has the cheapest short 1100/11-87 barrels-- but beware those are "police" barrels and aren't threaded for choke tubes and are IC-only. Gander Mountain had a smoking deal on Rem barrels a while ago-- those are threaded for chokes, and priced even better than dealer at Brownells.

In another thread on short-barrelled 11-87's, somebody mentioned the 'Barrel Seal Activator', which I found works great to make light loads work my 20" 11-87 bbl. If you go to Remington's web site and tell them you have a 3.5" SuperMag, there's a place you can sign up to have one mailed to you (that took a couple months)