Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crooked primer on XL650

Does anyone know what may be causing crooked primers seated on XL650?  I did not have this problem before.   This now happens 2 or 3 times every 100 rounds I load.  No obvious pattern.  Sometimes no issue for 300 or 500 rounds, but sometimes I get 2 in a row.

Is it the S&B primers I am using?  I used to run just WSP.  Did not recall having issues with WSP.  I feel S&B has QA issues because some of them cannot pass through my PAL primer filler.  Oversized some of them.

Or is this an issue with unstable platform?  Tilted primer feeding disc?

Or is this related to case feeding into station #1?  I notice an obvious sticky motion on station #1 when primer is seated crooked, but I am not sure which one is leading to which, e.g. primers coming in tilted causing the shell plate to rotate in a strange motion, resulting in the case feeding at station #1 become sticky. 

Any ideas how to fix this?  I have used the Dillon shell plate alignment tool, and it should not be an alignment issue. 

Edited by Dazhi

I currently load with S&B SPPs on a 650 and am not seeing this issue.  Unless this is an issue with a very recent batch of primers, I'd rule out the  primers as the problem.

Regarding the station one 'stickiness' can you recall if it is during the downward stroke or the up/push forward stroke.  I can understand how issues on the downstroke could cause the primer to move enough 'jump' out of the retainer, thereby causing the next stroke (primer seating up/forward stroke) to jam the primer in cockeyed. 

You may also want to remove your primer feed and wheel to clean them up and at the same time double-check the tightness of the primer punch and feed tube to make sure they have not loosened up.

Are you using case lube (e.g., Hornady One Shot) on your brass prior to reloading? If not, it may be worth a try.  Had an identical problem with CCI small pistol primers, and spraying with case lube resolved it. 

One other thought: have you cleaned your resizing-depriming die in Station-1 recently? If not, residue in the die body may be contributing to the "sticky motion" at Station-1. That motion may be partially dislodging the primer from the primer cup and resulting in its seating abnormally.

Hope this helps. Best wishes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I also have this issue sometimes. I think its a timing issue. I don't think the shell is centered properly before primer is pressed in. I put the shell plate bearing in and I may just need to adjust the shell plate tighter?