Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can’t make up my mind, help me pick which scope to buy.

Screaminyz

So I’ve narrowed it down to both of these scopes and I can’t make up my mind.

Vortex Viper PST Gen2 1-6 or

Steiner P4XI 1-4.

The Vortex weight is 22 oz’s and the Steiner is 17 oz.

I guess is the Vortex extra 2X power and a little bit heavier weight worth the extra $150. They both have daylight bright reticules with the Steiner being brighter. The Vortex has a better warranty which is lifetime no questions asked. Where as the Steiner is lifetime but the electronics red dot part of the scope is only covered for three years.

Whichever one I get will be mounted on a Aero Precision SPR Mount. Currently I only shoot out to about 200 yards but that might change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the lightness of the Steiner, never looked through either so I can’t judge the glass. The only 3 year electronics warranty on the Steiner kinda worries me since they always seem to die right after the warranty ends. So if the illumination stopped working after four years would they still fix it but just charge me or would the scope be a throwaway?

I have a Steiner, shot a lot of PST gen 2's. 

I really like the glass clarity, illumination, reticle, and weight of the Steiner. It's also cheaper. If you shoot factory ammo it's a good choice. 

That being said the Vortex has more reticle options. It's heavier and more expensive but you get a bit more magnification. I've seen several of these break, but Vortex will take care of you.

At the end of the day either is a great choice and you won't be disappointed. Buy the reticle that lines up with your ammo the best, that's the most important factor in breaking the tie. 

I went with the PST GEN II, I am happy with it so far (now that I have it back from warranty repair, it was DOA) huge upgrade from the strike eagle. but the season is just starting. 

I have a Steiner, shot a lot of PST gen 2's. 

I really like the glass clarity, illumination, reticle, and weight of the Steiner. It's also cheaper. If you shoot factory ammo it's a good choice. 

That being said the Vortex has more reticle options. It's heavier and more expensive but you get a bit more magnification. I've seen several of these break, but Vortex will take care of you.

At the end of the day either is a great choice and you won't be disappointed. Buy the reticle that lines up with your ammo the best, that's the most important factor in breaking the tie. 

I will be only shooting factory ammo, can you explain why the Steiner reticle would be better than the Vortex VMR2 MOA reticle. This is all new to me so any advice would be great [emoji106].

Thanks

The p3tr reticle in the Steiner p4xi (I know confusing) is a BDC reticle. It is designed for a 50yd zero with factory ammunition and the subtensions at set up at intervals so that they will line up pretty well at the 300, 400, and 500yd line. A MOA/MIL reticle the subtensions are set at round numbers of MIL/MOA and are more useful if you get into reloading your own ammo or shooting different calibers. That being said I'm pretty sure that the Viper PST genII also has an offering that is in a BDC reticle. 

Personally I load my own ammo and prefer MOA over MIL so that's how I like my subtensions I've also been known to move scopes around between guns alot. But BDC's work well for alot of shooters. 

ECN515,

Thanks for the explanation and yes they do offer a MOA reticle for the Vortex. I think I’m going to go with the Vortex only because of the warranty covers everything. 5-10 years down the road if the illumination fails and they can’t fix it, they will send a new scope with the comparable specs for no charge. The Steiner 3 year electronics warranty just makes me feel like if it breaks after 3 years it’s a $450 throw away scope.

The Steiner is hands down a better optic, though I don't think the Viper is far behind. The Viper struggles with QC, but the warranty is so good that vortex will always take care of you.

Because they're so similar and the Viper is a 6x, that's what I ended up going to for my latest 3-gun build. However Steiners are what live on my non game guns. The only shortcoming of the Steiner is being a 4x.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I keep saying to myself just buy the Steiner but this will be my first good scope I have ever purchased. The last scope I bought which was over 10 years ago was a Bushnell Banner for a slug shotgun. I’m guessing I will probably think the Vortex is awesome.[emoji106]I’ve never looked through either one, kinda glad I haven’t. If the Steiner warranty was as good as Vortex I wouldn’t of even started this thread.

So I finally made up my mind to get the Vortex. Of course when I go to buy it there was only one listing on eBay for $550 brand new. Well it was a weekend only deal and it was gone. Contacted the seller and they wouldn’t match the weekend price so I bought the Steiner instead. If anybody’s looking Sportoptics.com have the LE model with throw lever for $440 shipped. Not one other place would even come close to this price. They are out of stock but do allow back orders and will have more next week. Can’t wait thanks everybody for the help. I did have a chance to look at the Vortex at a local gun shop. If the glass on the Steiners even better as some stated, I will be amazed because the Vortex to me looked awesome.

49 minutes ago, Screaminyz said:

So I finally made up my mind to get the Vortex. Of course when I go to buy it there was only one listing on eBay for $550 brand new. Well it was a weekend only deal and it was gone. Contacted the seller and they wouldn’t match the weekend price so I bought the Steiner instead. If anybody’s looking Sportoptics.com have the LE model with throw lever for $440 shipped. Not one other place would even come close to this price. They are out of stock but do allow back orders and will have more next week. Can’t wait thanks everybody for the help. I did have a chance to look at the Vortex at a local gun shop. If the glass on the Steiners even better as some stated, I will be amazed because the Vortex to me looked awesome.

Good choice, I like the 1x6 as well.