Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-Hybrid barrel in hybrid cut slide

thepunishur

I searched, but didn't seem to find an answer. I'm going to be having a 9mm barrel fit to my 38 super open gun. Currently, it has a Hybrid barrel and the slide is cut for it. Would I have any issues having a non-hybrid barrel fit to my slide? Any potential problems with barrel lock-up?

While certainly not optimal, my guess is that it wouldn't affect the performance.  In all of the hybrid builds I have (I have 3 and will get one more shortly), the barrel rib doesn't touch the slide at all throughout the cycle.  They're very close but there is no contact.  So, all the fitting is between the slide and barrel, minus the ~1/2" on top where the rib is.  

33 minutes ago, al503 said:

While certainly not optimal, my guess is that it wouldn't affect the performance.  In all of the hybrid builds I have (I have 3 and will get one more shortly), the barrel rib doesn't touch the slide at all throughout the cycle.  They're very close but there is no contact.  So, all the fitting is between the slide and barrel, minus the ~1/2" on top where the rib is.  

Cool, because I cant find a 4 port (drilled or undrilled) hybrid nowlin barrel anywhere...

21 hours ago, thepunishur said:

Cool, because I cant find a 4 port (drilled or undrilled) hybrid nowlin barrel anywhere...

SV will make you a blank hybrid rib barrel but they don't stock them. They say allow 6 weeks,

but I got mine in 5 weeks.

The rib goes almost to the locking lug.  Not sure if that's a 4 port.

2 minutes ago, racegun9 said:

SV will make you a blank hybrid rib barrel but they don't stock them. They say allow 6 weeks,

SV's all seem to be clark/para ramped, and I need a wilson/nowlin

49 minutes ago, thepunishur said:

SV's all seem to be clark/para ramped, and I need a wilson/nowlin

Yes they only make the clark/para type. 

The gunsmiths would have to chime in.

I think the frame cut could be changed from nowlin to clark.

Not sure if the barrel can be cut from clark to nowlin.

But then you have more steps and money involved.

I was on the Schumann website last night and the main page states their web store is down but when you check the barrel pages, it show barrel available for purchase, it might be worth it to call them

On 3/28/2018 at 6:34 PM, racegun9 said:

Almost to the locking lug would be a 5 port.