Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Sight Q's

simonsay

Traded for a new 34 last week and shot some wally world wwb thru it just to see what happened. I'm shooting 1911's now in IDPA and would like to shoot ss or L-10. SSR and/or production is something that might happen down the road but the opportunity presented itself and now I own a plastic gun.

Two things: 1) The sights have to go. From what I've read here the Dawson and Bomar adjustables are hard to beat but unless someone can talk me out of it I'm leaning Dawson.

2)Using the factory sights, I really had to get the rear sight over on the right side of the slide to get it to print POA. Not only did I drift the entire sight(with my thumb) to the right side of the slide, I move the adjustable part to the right. It is visibly off center when looking at the rear of the gun.

Remember this is winchester white box. Should this be of any concern? Any thoughts about the dawson adjustables?

Traded for a new 34 last week and shot some wally world wwb thru it just to see what happened.  I'm shooting 1911's now in IDPA and would like to shoot ss or L-10.  SSR and/or production is something that might happen down the road but the opportunity presented itself and now I own a plastic gun. 

Two things: 1) The sights have to go.  From what I've read here the Dawson and Bomar adjustables are  hard to beat but  unless someone can talk me out of it I'm leaning Dawson.

2)Using the factory sights, I really had to get the rear sight over on the right side of the slide to get it to print POA.  Not only did I drift the entire sight(with my thumb) to the right side of the slide, I move the adjustable part to  the right.  It is visibly off center when looking at the rear of the gun. 

Remember this is winchester white box.  Should this be of any concern?  Any thoughts about the dawson adjustables?

Dawson adjustables are very nice and you won't be disappointed IMO. Heine sights are also worth looking at as well. I have Dawson's on my G17 and G35. I've used the Heine's but prefer Dave's product by far.

Dawson's thin Glock front is .100 or so. With their rear sight or Heinie's, it is a nice setup.

The only downside to the Dawson rear is the finish. I shot 7 stages at the Nat's last weekend with the RO's and on Wed the rear sight was covered in rust. Typical PASA weather...200 degrees and 200% humidity with lots of sweat and ProGrip.

On the upside, a Q-tip with Kroil and LOTS of scrubbing removed most of the rust.

No issues with rust here, but the conditions sound different. Love the Dawson adjustables, have them on both of the G34s that I have.

One note, I do shoot one in production and will be shooting the other in Limited shooting minor so it can be done - won't be winning anything but I will have fun with the Dawson base pads. If you wanted to compete with your G34 in USPSA the Production division is where the 9mm will do its best without giving anything up to major PF guns since the whole division is minor scoring. So if you want to shoot just 10 rounds in the gun plus one go production. If you want a full mag and basepad extensions you can still play in limited but you are giving away points. I'm doing it just for fun.

Dawsons are the only way to go. I've noticed a very, very small amount of rust, but thats only after being stored dry for a week or two. As long as you use a little common sence when you clean the pistol, it's really a non-issue.

I guarantee you can't go wrong with Dawson.

There are few popular options when it comes to sights on a Glock for competition. Some people like Heinies, which aren't adjustable. Alternatively, there's the Dawson or Bomar rear with a Dawson FO front or a plain black front.

I've never used the Dawson rear, but a lot of people do like them. I'm using the Bomar rear, which I love, but it does overhang in a weird sort of way. One can get the Bomar "melted" into the slide, but that's not legal for production. Opinions about the FO front are mixed. Some people love them, but others claim that a plain black front sight is more accurate and just as fast. I've just started using the FO front and I really like it. It's a bit of a crutch in terms of picking up the sights quickly, but it's a crutch I can use.

You can't use a melted Bo-mar in production??? I don't doubt you, I was just surprised by that. They are IDPA legal in all divisions. I learn something new everyday on this board.

Rick

Now, I'm back where I started from with the knowledge base. Thanks Eric. Heath, that rulebook will mess with you if you look under the IPSC section and are shooting USPSA matches. It's happened to me in the past.

Rick

The Winchester White Box shouldn't shoot to a different point of aim. My 17 shoots just about anything from a factory box into the same spot. 115, 124 and 147 gr. The gun is sighted in at 25 yds but I was still hitting steel at 130+ yds with 147gr a couple weeks ago. If you have to drift the sight all the way over there are a couple options. Make sure it's the gun and not you, have some other people shoot it as well. If it's the gun, you might consider calling Glock and sending it back to them. Their standards are for the sight to reasonably centered. Otherwise try one of the adjustable sights. Don't go with a fixed sight if you have to have it drifted away from center. It'll just mess with you trying to get a good draw and on point shooting close targets.

"2)Using the factory sights, I really had to get the rear sight over on the right side of the slide to get it to print POA. Not only did I drift the entire sight(with my thumb) to the right side of the slide, I move the adjustable part to the right. It is visibly off center when looking at the rear of the gun. "

The gun will be very close to point of aim with the sights centered on the slide. I have seen a lot of 1911 shooters pull shots consistently to the left when transitioning from a single action to a Glock. Try moving your finger further onto the trigger so that you are close to the first joint and see if that helps any.

Other than that, just shoot it and practice groups.

Alma explained it very well. To prove it to yourself shoot the gun off of sandbags and then free hand. If the groups move lower left it is usually trigger control or milking with the strong hand.

One more trick. Relax slightly the right hand grip (for a right hander) and strengthen slightly the week hand. A good trigger job will also help.

Rick

Thanks all. Right now I'm not putting a lot of weight on this gun until I get some decent sights. If you look at the back of the gun, it looks like the front sight is closer to the right side and tilted. I do need some distance and sandbags but probably will wait on a set of dawsons before I draw any conclusions. Why a company would ship out a pistol with this kind of crap for shooters to look through is beyond me. vent mode off

One can get the Bomar "melted" into the slide, but that's not legal for production.

Not quite. Legal for USPSA. Not legal in *IPSC*.

I thought that milling the slide qualified as an "external modification". However, I see that there is an NROI ruling that explicitly permits it.

http://www.uspsa.org/rules/nroi_rulings.ph...on=edit&indx=20

I guess I can't be right all the time.

Has anybody tried Sevigny/Warren sights?

I've got some and really like them. They are all black and give a great sight picture, no FO though. I dont like the FO and neither does Sevigny. The Sevigny sights are kind of like the Heinie's, but a little bigger and easier to pick up fast or shoot at higher speed.

Sevigny/Warren are coming up with carry and tritium sights in the future.

Has anybody tried Sevigny/Warren sights?

I've got some and really like them. They are all black and give a great sight picture, no FO though. I dont like the FO and neither does Sevigny. The Sevigny sights are kind of like the Heinie's, but a little bigger and easier to pick up fast or shoot at higher speed.

Sevigny/Warren are coming up with carry and tritium sights in the future.

Just switched to the WTS rear after Dave let me try his pistol out after Area 8. Fortunately he ended on the stage I was working.

I had not shot it, other than to sight it in, after A8, so when I shot the EH match yesterday, I was quite pleased with my performance. I have a Dawson FO (.105) front, and Dave's rear sight is already opened to .150, so it was a nice match.

Now. whether it was the sight or a return to basics because I had a new rear sight, I don't know. but I liked what I saw, and have no problem at all recommending them to any shooter.

If you run in to me at a match, i'll be more than happy to let you try it out.

To be honest I'm a little embarrassed but I don't know the name of the guy that I bought them from. He's been a vendor at several of the matches this year, Area 6 and Nationals for sure. He's a bigger guy, my size, with long curly brown hair. For those that went to Nationals he was in the corner of the tent and had the pink AR comps. Anybody know who he is?

To be honest I'm a little embarrassed but I don't know the name of the guy that I bought them from.  He's been a vendor at several of the matches this year, Area 6 and Nationals for sure.  He's a bigger guy, my size, with long curly brown hair.  For those that went to Nationals he was in the corner of the tent and had the pink AR comps.  Anybody know who he is?

Was it Henry from SAW Custom?