Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WANTED: Your Opinions on Comps

OrondoShooter

As an open-gun user, or user of handgun compensator, what is, or would be, your preferred layout of ports? Do you like having the top and side ports all on one plane, or do you like having the vertical and horizontal ports having their own 'section'? Bigger or smaller ports? Thanks a million! 

The layout of ports would be determined by what you want to accomplish.  If you are looking for the softest shooting gun, a comp with 5 or 6 narrow up ports is what you want.  You need lots of baffles for the gas to push against.  If you are using a faster powder than 3N38, you may want to reduce the number of ports by one  or two.

If flat shooting is your goal, that would be hard to do with only comp ports.  A couple of 3/16" barrel ports helps out a lot.  However, they rob the comp of gas, so you need either more powder, or fewer comp ports.  If you add more poppels, you need even more powder.  You eventually reach a point where you can't fit enough powder in (9mm) to make major.

I tried a bunch of comps,  my favorite is the Dawson Todd Jarrett.  I have this in both Cone and Bull Barrel guns.   If it bucks too much for you then start drilling.   I use Silhouette it has temp issues but it shoots nice and soft.   I have also shot a lot of Accurate 7, compressed load at 10 grains. I shot AutoComp when I couldn't get Silhouette, was out for 2 years. 

Spend more time doing Dry Fire and less time looking for the magic sauce!  Exercise and practice movement and positioning skills, stage analysis.   

11 minutes ago, CocoBolo said:

I tried a bunch of comps,  my favorite is the Dawson Todd Jarrett.  I have this in both Cone and Bull Barrel guns.   If it bucks too much for you then start drilling.   I use Silhouette it has temp issues but it shoots nice and soft.   I have also shot a lot of Accurate 7, compressed load at 10 grains. I shot AutoComp when I couldn't get Silhouette, was out for 2 years. 

Spend more time doing Dry Fire and less time looking for the magic sauce!  Exercise and practice movement and positioning skills, stage analysis.   

Yeah, Most of the comps out there will work with THE RIGHT LOAD. I have shot several guns with different comps and the differences can be very subtle generally. But, the best comp in the world won't work with a crappy load running through it. 

Often You need to run a high enough PF to make just about any comp work correctly.

I sold one of my open guns to a fellow club shooter.  Once he realized it's not about how close you can get to 165

BUT

how you can get the comp to work well, He went from chasing the dot to a flat running pistol.

That particular gun liked 173 -175 PF to run flat and straight

i.e.

Finds out where your guns comp wants to run and load accordingly!

On 3/15/2018 at 5:36 PM, zzt said:

If you add more poppels, you need even more powder.  You eventually reach a point where you can't fit enough powder in (9mm) to make major.

Cough v12 cough cough..?