Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caspian Hi-cap Frame

sv45

I was thinking of building a Caspian With the Hi-cap frame. Does anyone have any input on building on Caspian? I have two SV guns that I really like, just looking for something new.

sv45

Rich Dettelhouser from Canyon Creek had a cool 6in Caspian wide body blaster at the Nationals, I got to play with it while it was in the works. It is sweet, and he has basepads for the mags to get them to 20 rounds. Give him a call as well!

I am going to build a limited gun. Is there a way to fit the grip safety better on the caspian frames? All the pictures I see have large gaps so it will pivot, I was thinking if I pin the safety then the gaps could be welded up to fit better.

sv45

Don't worry about the gaps around the rear of the grip safety. The Caspian is MUCH softer on your hands than the STI/SV, which have 2 *cubes* of metal at the trigger bow/grip safety area for no reason I can figure. Any time I shoot a friend's S_I, that's the first thing I notice - the stinging sensation. Ow!

I would worry about magazines. Don't buy a frame until you have the mags in your possession. And don't expect the same "no-excuses" level of service and warrantee as you'd get from Dillon. Caspian is not the tops in that dept.

My 2c...

Don't worry about the gaps around the rear of the grip safety. The Caspian is MUCH softer on your hands than the STI/SV, which have 2 *cubes* of metal at the trigger bow/grip safety area for no reason I can figure. Any time I shoot a friend's S_I, that's the first thing I notice - the stinging sensation. Ow!

I round those so they don't bite.

Ive built dozens of caspians both Hi-cap and single stack.

Caspian is the only manufacturer that Ive delt with that has

given me as a gunsmith total satisfaction.

Never seen nor heard of a caspian being out of spec if so I know

for a fact that Gary would take care of it.

They are just tops and allways have been

Jim Anglin ;)

Mags are a serious issue with the Caspian Hi-Caps. Apparently they can't get mags manufactured for their platform and Craig mags are very rare and old. Travis Tomasie makes mags for it by assembling them from a mixture of parts.

• 4 weeks later...

I just made 4 of the mags on Max's site and they seem to work, a pain in the butt to load compared to SVI mags, but I sure like the way it feels so far (only 400 rounds.) I LOVE doing reloads with it, they just jump right in the well, and I like the weight.

I am biased toward Fred Craig as a gun builder, he's built some of the best fitting guns I've ever seen.