Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 33 mag won't drop free, GMR 15.

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Glock 33 round mags dropping free from GMR 15. Magazines are new, GMR15 is new. 

17 round gen 5 Glock mags drop free. The 33 rounder is tight going in the mag well. Dimensionally the 33 is a little wider than the 17. Don’t remember the exact measurements but it was a few hundredths.

I don’t have any extension on the 33 yet but really don’t think the extra weight will make a difference.

I have thought about some light sanding on the mag. Or opening up the mag well but really don’t like the idea of filing on a new JP.

Is this a common problem with the gmr 15 or the 33 round glock mag? 

Thanks for the help.

That will definitely depend on which extension you add on. I haven't had trouble with any of my GLOCK-brand-GLOCK mags, with or without basepads, dropping free but I have helped a couple folks through this issue.

As you note, the 33's are a bit chubbier. Make sure you're holding the magwell vertical when you release the mag.  If you release an empty mag at an angle it can get stuck. Taylor Freelance or TTI extensions should add more than enough weight to an empty mag to drop free as long as you're dropping the mag reasonably vertical. If you put a MBX 57 rounder on a mag and you still aren't getting free release I'd check the 33 round mag against a couple others. 

However, I would honestly recommend loading up some dummy rounds (NO PRIMER, NO POWDER, JUST BULLET, PREFERABLY IN A BLAZE ORANGE POLY COAT) or using snap caps to better simulate both your reload going in and the magazine coming out. I can't honestly remember dropping an empty mag at a match. Classifiers I always use a full mag to speed up the drop and put in a mag downloaded a couple rounds to ease seating. 

Call JP , I have the same issue. They will send you a work order so you can send in the lower and have it fixed. I'm in the middle of a move so I haven't shipped mine off yet but this is what the work order says:

"DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE WORK REQUESTED OR ISSUE (BE SPECIFIC):
CUT MAG WELL FOR IMPROVED DROP FREE WITH SWOLLEN MAGS"

Basically they cut the mag well to spec and didn't allow enough for the swelling of "SOME" factory glock magazines. I say some because 3 of the 5 new 33 round magazines I bought last year work fine.

2 hours ago, poortrader said:

60 grit sand paper is your friend. I had to sand 4 G19/17 mags so they would dropfree from my GMR 15. Hit the front edge of the mags. It’s not the end of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This ^

I would likely go finer than 60 grit, maybe 200-400, but I always modify the cheaper part when there is a conflict.  If you were having a problem to where ALL mags would not drop, then I would consider having the lower repaired, but if some work fine, fix the few offending mags.   I would hate to have some mags fit loose to where they cause jams or drop mags  to accommodate a few fat mags.  My .02c

11 hours ago, dhf said:

Hello,

I'm having a problem with Glock 33 round mags dropping free from GMR 15. Magazines are new, GMR15 is new. 

17 round gen 5 Glock mags drop free. The 33 rounder is tight going in the mag well. Dimensionally the 33 is a little wider than the 17. Don’t remember the exact measurements but it was a few hundredths.

I don’t have any extension on the 33 yet but really don’t think the extra weight will make a difference.

I have thought about some light sanding on the mag. Or opening up the mag well but really don’t like the idea of filing on a new JP.

Thanks for the help.

I've experienced the same thing.  I sanded some Glock mags, but have had the best luck with ETS mags.

11 hours ago, dhf said:

Hello,

Thanks for the help.

I have the GMR15 and have only had one 33rd mag not drop free with no sticking it measured a few hundreds larger than the others, traded it with another shooter at my club it worked fine in his and the one I got from him worked well in my gun (his was not a JP). If you have other shooters using them this may be an option. But the advice given by L9X25 is good, hack on the cheaper part, having modifications for one or two fat mags may give fit problems with the others then you will be chasing fat mags and you would not want you friends to know:P

10 hours ago, alanm said:

The ETS mags should drop free for you. The Glock 33 rounders are junk imho 

I've had the complete opposite experience.  The ETS mags don't insert well when full or drop free when more than half full, but my Glock 33rd mags all run 100%.

Thanks for the comments. I spoke with JP since August they’ve been opening up the magwells in all new lowers to deal with this issue. I’m going to send mine to them to have it recut.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:19 AM, dhf said:

Thanks for the comments. I spoke with JP since August they’ve been opening up the magwells in all new lowers to deal with this issue. I’m going to send mine to them to have it recut.

Do they open up the sides of the magwell or the front and back? 

Just wondering if some of the magazines causing folks problems are swollen a bit from being left loaded for extended periods of time.  I have a couple of 33 rd Glock mags that over time have become tight.

Flatland Shooter, when I measured the new 33rd mags they are a few thousandths wider than the gen 5 17's. Front to back the magazines I measured were all about the same. They didn't say specifically what they do. The work order just says cut mag well for swollen mags. I'm guessing they widen it slightly.

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up post. Sent my gmr 15 to JP, turn around was excellent. Received it back in two weeks.

All mags drop free now. They milled out both sides of the mag well slightly.