Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Machine vision to sort by headstamp

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Hansimania said:

Is there still interest in this project? 

We are close, really close to getting it to work. We found flaws and made design updates to the printed parts. The only thing that still causes some issues is training the system so it gets to a level of precision that is equal to sorting by hand. For me thats somewhere close to 100%. It is a lot of work and Chris and Greg are investing hours and hours into getting the programming right. We will take more pictures and hopefully we can do a good testrun today. I'm super hyped  to finally see everything working together so good!

Best regards

Hans

Yes... There's interest.

• 3 weeks later...

To be haunest, I have no idea how to put so many people on this project. We are getting realy close, One system in California is already sorting brass pretty reliable in real life. I hope we can get the Swiss unit working on saturday as I will have realy limited time the next two weeks. But Guys, we are really getting there. If anyone hears something from Fingerblaster, let him know we are on it!

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Easter everyone!

We have a working system! It still needs some tinkering, especially on the sorting Hardware, but I think Greg has already fond a better solution than our more complicated sorting units. 

Here is the link to download everything you guys need to get started: 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b_nKPQIUC8nDSKsshxKCfQybk_rRgtVL?usp=sharing

I will update the folder as often as it is usefull, if you have something that should go into this folder (Updated code, Better 3d designs, other stuff you find useful) let me know and I will add everything. 

The Instructions on how to train the NeuralNetwork will follow. I hope you guys are able to build your own sorters now and share your experiences so we can evolve this thing!

Best regards!

I just kicked off all the Dripper parts in a single 44 plus hour 3D printing session. Next to a Tavor model I once printed this will be the longest running print! Will post photos when complete.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:10 AM, quiller said:

I just kicked off all the Dripper parts in a single 44 plus hour 3D printing session. Next to a Tavor model I once printed this will be the longest running print! Will post photos when complete.

How did that print job work?!

6 hours ago, rutilate said:

How did that print job work?!

On a second look the printer must have hick-upped as a few layers close to the bottom we’re all dogged to the right. I started re-printing (as material is cheap), so we’ll see how they do one at a time. 

Any word on the availability of how to train the NN ? 

I am thinking it may be something we can crowd source or outsource to India to get a few hundred thousand pictures into the trainer.. 

Also - have you guys had any luck getting it to tell the difference between a small primer pocket and a large one? 

4 hours ago, TheCaryBrassGuy said:

Any word on the availability of how to train the NN ? 

Not yet.

I am thinking it may be something we can crowd source or outsource to India to get a few hundred thousand pictures into the trainer.. 

Don't think that will be an option, can't imagine they would have that many different calibers and brands just laying around. :)

Also - have you guys had any luck getting it to tell the difference between a small primer pocket and a large one? 

Looks like the primer size is hard coded but @Hansimania can definitely answer that :)

3 hours ago, MichaelGj said:

Don't think that will be an option, can't imagine they would have that many different calibers and brands just laying around. :)

8 hours ago, TheCaryBrassGuy said:

Correct, they don't, but I have over 2 million cases in my shop right now, if I just use this to take pictures and uploaded them to an online folder, they could categorize them for the NN training exercise. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have all the parts printed and the nano plus three servos in hand. I read through everything on the g drive the other day and noticed something that said see photos for assembling the 3D parts. Did I miss the photos or are they posted somewhere in the thread? Thanks 

15 hours ago, quiller said:

I have all the parts printed and the nano plus three servos in hand. I read through everything on the g drive the other day and noticed something that said see photos for assembling the 3D parts. Did I miss the photos or are they posted somewhere in the thread? Thanks 

Didn't print the parts myself or seen any assembling pictures, will write to Hansimania.

• 2 weeks later...

This is awesome I have a brass processing company and back in 2018 I was look at some of those expensive rigs I was sorting 55 gallon barrels by hand it wasn't too bad there was normally only regular and +p in them that source dried up and now I'm only able to get mixed head stamp sorting 9mm is a pain compared to 223. I'm going to gather up the parts and try and make this, does anyone have a video of the completed unit I can see one just reading the case headstamps. We mainly focus on 223 and 9mm but I'm sure I could upload some of my pictures for the sorting if I can figure out how to get this all going seems like its right up my alley, this forum is amazing so much great info about automation in the reloading/casting world. 

• 1 month later...

Thx for the quick reply. Have you completed it? I've seen the video of the optical part but nothing of the sorting mechanism. I have my own idea on how to flip the case. I'm just trying to decide if i should get a big printer so I can print Dillon case feeder plates too or just average size. I had a flashforge pro a couple years back but now things have got a lot better with auto leveling etc.  Friend that's really into 3d printing says get the biggest one.

I have not completed as this thread ran dry. I asked a few months ago for instructions as the OP mentioned putting some up but no word yet. BTW Prusa came out with a larger printer. I was considering buying one but don’t use the one I have enough to justify upgrading. So far my printer is working out very well with no issues.