Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Machine vision to sort by headstamp

3 hours ago, davrex said:

Is it just me or are it dropping cases in wrong bucket? the case drops out before it stops.

They are getting in the right bucket but barely.  Every now and then one will get in the wrong bucket.  For this version of the sorter slowing it down a touch solves the problem.  

There is a new version in development (CS7.1) that has a much shorter drop tube to correct that error, up date in the comparator to sense when brass has cleared, auto homing and a few more updates.  

https://github.com/sjseth/AI-Case-Sorter-CS7.1

There is an Discord setup with several active users doing the development.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/4/2023 at 9:14 AM, Unibrain said:

They are getting in the right bucket but barely.  Every now and then one will get in the wrong bucket.  For this version of the sorter slowing it down a touch solves the problem.  

There is a new version in development (CS7.1) that has a much shorter drop tube to correct that error, up date in the comparator to sense when brass has cleared, auto homing and a few more updates.  

https://github.com/sjseth/AI-Case-Sorter-CS7.1

There is an Discord setup with several active users doing the development.

Unibrain, Do you have the Discord info on this?  I'd like to join if possible.  

I got all of the instructions and zip from GitHub, and ordered all of the hardware today.  Looking forward to giving this a try!  I appreciate everyone's hard work on this!

1 hour ago, Laughing_jackal said:

Unibrain, Do you have the Discord info on this?  I'd like to join if possible.  

I got all of the instructions and zip from GitHub, and ordered all of the hardware today.  Looking forward to giving this a try!  I appreciate everyone's hard work on this!

Link is good for 7 days

https://discord.gg/a9ztzG7S

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, 67isb said:

I hope someone can figure this out and decides to sell them.     I really need one.

There is already a patent on exactly this.  Several, actually.  Both utility and design, for that matter, X 6, iirc.  

WHoever figures this out can give them out, or give them the programming, etc, but if they start selling them they are likely going to have legal problems.

21 hours ago, rmantoo said:

There is already a patent on exactly this.  Several, actually.  Both utility and design, for that matter, X 6, iirc.  

WHoever figures this out can give them out, or give them the programming, etc, but if they start selling them they are likely going to have legal problems.

Hi, I am very interested in this patents do you have a link?

On 6/13/2023 at 4:32 PM, rmantoo said:

Those are case sorters by caliber for when you have buckets of mixed brass of different calibers. This will only sort 1 caliber at a time by headstamp. Different application with a completely different system.

17 hours ago, calgarysparky said:

Those are case sorters by caliber for when you have buckets of mixed brass of different calibers. This will only sort 1 caliber at a time by headstamp. Different application with a completely different system.

That’s an easy task to do mechanically, no need to add the complication of writing a bunch of code and teaching a machine for the simple operation of sorting by size.

• 4 months later...
On 6/20/2023 at 9:15 AM, jmorris said:

That’s an easy task to do mechanically, no need to add the complication of writing a bunch of code and teaching a machine for the simple operation of sorting by size.

Except it you've got mixed 38spl/357, 32 S&W Short/ S&W Long/H&R Mag/327 Fed Mag, .380/9mm...

14 hours ago, BillSmithem said:

Except it you've got mixed 38spl/357, 32 S&W Short/ S&W Long/H&R Mag/327 Fed Mag, .380/9mm...

.380 is smaller than 9mm, you can see in the video they drop into the same bin as .223, before the 9mm can drop because of the larger diameter. 38 super has a larger diameter than 9mm and they fall into the next bin.

That said, it’s even easier to sort by length.

That device can even sort 357 sig from 40.

That said, I haven’t even come across any, 32 S&W Short/ S&W Long/H&R Mag/327 anywhere I have picked up brass but will admit most of it comes from matches not public firing ranges and no one competes with those rounds.

Edited by jmorris