Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 13.5 inch barrel?

apetrulis01

2 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

Going to build another upper for 3 gun. Looking at either the Armalite barrel or ballistic advantage 13.7 inch barrel. Opinions? Another other good options out there?

Thanks,

Adam

I’m using the SMOS 13.7” with a JP 3-port comp.  to make 16”.  The SMOS barrel is mid length gas and .223 Wylde chamber.  It’s been very accurate and soft shooting.

13 hours ago, CharlieD said:

I’m using the SMOS 13.7” with a JP 3-port comp.  to make 16”.  The SMOS barrel is mid length gas and .223 Wylde chamber.  It’s been very accurate and soft shooting.

Never heard of this company but I am looking at the barrel you are using because short AND mid length. 

2 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

Never heard of this company but I am looking at the barrel you are using because short AND mid length. 

If you are using an adjustable gas block, does it matter if it is a mid or carbine length gas system?

5 hours ago, Terry44 said:

If you are using an adjustable gas block, does it matter if it is a mid or carbine length gas system?

I have found it matters even on a rifle length gas. Less pressure with the mid length coupled with the adjustable gas block means you can dial down the gas even more for a softer recoil impulse. 

16 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

SMOS is an OEM for companies like Larue and Noveske, well not Noveske any more.  Everything they make is top notch.  That 13.7" barrel is impressive.  They also make a 16" rifle length barrel i would like to try.

On 2/26/2018 at 5:18 PM, CharlieD said:

Also, I recommend the JP 2 piece gas block on a pin and weld barrel.  

Which handguard did you use with the JP 2 piece block and did you have to remove any material to make it fit?

We are talking about the JPGS-9D correct?

11 hours ago, CharlieD said:

SMOS is an OEM for companies like Larue and Noveske, well not Noveske any more.  Everything they make is top notch.  That 13.7" barrel is impressive.  They also make a 16" rifle length barrel i would like to try.

How does the weight feel. Contacted them and they say the weight is 31 oz.....almost 2 pounds......

13 hours ago, Terry44 said:

Which handguard did you use with the JP 2 piece block and did you have to remove any material to make it fit?

We are talking about the JPGS-9D correct?

I used the SMOS handguard.  I used a dremel sanding wheel to remove some material to make sure there was zero contact.

12 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

How does the weight feel. Contacted them and they say the weight is 31 oz.....almost 2 pounds......

It feels exactly the same as my Stretch 16 built on the same receiver set.  I'm not fan of lightweight builds.  I find a heavier rifle shoots flatter, but I wouldn't consider this a heavy rifle.  I recall seeing the specs and thinking it was heavier than I wanted, but it handles and shoots so nice.  You're getting it for 3 gun, you'll love it.    

Edited by CharlieD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/28/2018 at 10:51 PM, CharlieD said:

It feels exactly the same as my Stretch 16 built on the same receiver set.  I'm not fan of lightweight builds.  I find a heavier rifle shoots flatter, but I wouldn't consider this a heavy rifle.  I recall seeing the specs and thinking it was heavier than I wanted, but it handles and shoots so nice.  You're getting it for 3 gun, you'll love it.    

A heavier rifle shoots flatter? Can you expound on that a bit more?

9 minutes ago, Swanny10 said:

A heavier rifle shoots flatter? Can you expound on that a bit more?

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.  A heavier gun is more stable and there is less movement with recoil.  The less the reticle moves off the target and the quicker it returns to the target the happier I am. 

2 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part.  A heavier gun is more stable and there is less movement with recoil.  The less the reticle moves off the target and the quicker it returns to the target the happier I am. 

10-4. I thought maybe you meant to say “faster”.