Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shroud Scrapper......

2 hours ago, MikieM said:

I just finished the prototype of the new Mikie's Practical Tactical ULW Barrel Shroud Scraper. The handle and rod is a Dewey .50 cal cleaner, and the scraper is a hardened steel washer.

The only problem I encountered was the Dewey Rod had come from the factory with an NPT thread in the end and there were no small bolts, or studs, of that size available. I solved the dilemma by cutting the head off a 1/4 inch diameter bolt and gluing it in the rod end with JB Weld. A piece if 1/4 inch all-thread would have worked as well.

I then found a steel washer that just barely fit inside the ULW barrel shroud, put a small washer on the backside for support, and installed a nut on the front. The only thing I might do now is sharpen the edge of the scraper washer a little bit.

What do think?

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

Nice idea but a 16" Faxon or Taccom light weight barrel would cure the problem forever!

And you get to clean the crown when it gets messed up with carbon deposits as a bonus.

Just saying.

It didn't occur to me that there might be some here who were not aware of the potential problem that shooters who use coated bullets, and lead bullets for that matter, could have with residue that accumulates inside the shroud on the ULW barrels from Taccom.

This tool hopefully addresses that problem. 

21 minutes ago, MikieM said:

You do know what a Taccom ULW 9mm barrel is, don't you?  

Yup,

A short pistol barrel with a shroud welded and pinned to the end of it to make it a legal 16" barrel.

Shooters using them are having a problem with the attached shroud collecting junk from fired bullets

inside so are making gadgets to scrape the crud build up  out of them. It might be a problem getting to the barrel crown if the crown builds up with carbon affecting accuracy.

7 minutes ago, MikieM said:

It didn't occur to me that there might be some here who were not aware of the potential problem that shooters who use coated bullets, and lead bullets for that matter, could have with residue that accumulates inside the shroud on the ULW barrels from Taccom.

This tool hopefully addresses that problem. 

I agree with you and it is nice of you to share your idea of a tool to do that.

I was offering my way of how to eliminate the problem.

7 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Yup,

A short pistol barrel with a shroud welded and pinned to the end of it to make it a legal 16" barrel.

Shooters using them are having a problem with the attached shroud collecting junk from fired bullets

inside so are making gadgets to scrape the crud build up  out of them. It might be a problem getting to the barrel crown if the crown builds up with carbon affecting accuracy.

Ok so what taccom lightweight barrel would cure the problems his taccom lightweight barrel has? They only make one lol

3 minutes ago, Garmil said:

Ok so what taccom lightweight barrel would cure the problems his taccom lightweight barrel has? They only make one lol

Yup, your right. I thought they originally made a 16" steel barrel.

Maybe I was thinking of their 22 steel barrel.

Faxon does make a very nice light steel barrel and I would bet others do to.

5 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

Yup, your right. I thought they originally made a 16" steel barrel.

Maybe I was thinking of their 22 steel barrel.

Faxon does make a very nice light steel barrel and I would bet others do to.

Maybe this tool isn't for you.

19 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

I would use it if I had a shrouded barrel but lucky me I don't have the problem that  you do.

Have a nice day

I don't. I use jacketed bullets. But don't you think you're being a little unkind to those who do?

1 hour ago, Garmil said:

Yeah it's almost as bad as having to read a bunch of corny ex wife jokes on gun threads.

Wow, so much for bringing a little humor to these "serious" topics that we discuss.  

Keep up the jokes, I even repeat the good ones!

As for your tool, I fear that what you scrape might just end up piling up at the breech side of the tube.  If you used a PVC pipe with "teeth" cut into it, much of what you cut off could fall out through the center of the PVC pipe.  That sounds like a better plan, but you can get something else to help knock loose what your scrape down.

Edited by L9X25
22 minutes ago, dmshozer1 said:

I think someone has very thin skin and cannot take it when someone disagrees with him.

Like I said.

Have a nice day

So you troll a thread and get bitten back you call that being thin skinned? Screw you.

2 hours ago, L9X25 said:

Wow, so much for bringing a little humor to these "serious" topics that we discuss.  

Keep up the jokes, I even repeat the good ones!

As for your tool, I fear that what you scrape might just end up piling up at the breech side of the tube.  If you used a PVC pipe with "teeth" cut into it, much of what you cut off could fall out through the center of the PVC pipe.  That sounds like a better plan, but you can get something else to help knock loose what your scrape down.

He could make one washer with some notches cut in it to allow the crud to slip through. That would undoubtedly not allow you to scrape the whole shroud clean, but you could follow up with the smooth edge washer and have less crud remaining to build up. 

Uhmmmmmm......as the guy who ACTUALLY makes these barrels, I would not due this......unless you've made the set up to NOT kiss the crown on the barrel, you will screw it up. Do the PVC pipe thing......much safer, cheaper and it works great!! If you have a barrel that you've let things go on and have a ton of build up......give me a shout, we'll have yous end the barrel in and we will get you squared away.

Hey, my bad for even posting this piece of shit. It won't happen again I can promise you that.

And dmhozer1, I knew you were dumber than a sack of hammers when you made your first post. You had to go to the Taccom website to find out what a ULW barrel was.

20 minutes ago, MikieM said:

Hey, my bad for even posting this piece of shit. It won't happen again I can promise you that.

And dmhozer1, I knew you were dumber than a sack of hammers when you made your first post. You had to go to the Taccom website to find out what a ULW barrel was.

And just how did you come to that conclusion?

I knew you did not know jack shit when you went to the range and had light strikes and had to ask this forum what was wrong.

Any idiot knows that is a strong indication of a broken firing pin. Typical problem when using a Hyper Fire trigger  with the strong

springs to get a lighter pull weight.

That told me you were a parts changer and do not  have a clue about what you are doing.

I am done with this. Arguing with a idiot is not worth my time.